SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Administrator
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know no one reads things like NON-STOP...
"Oh, so you'll have fun in Portugal!"
"NO, you F'ing Idiot I'm going NON-STOP"
"Oh, well enjoy the stopover in the Canaries!"

The route is the thick blue line, but I think I can do the red line first if the forecast holds...
(Yes, I know it says Madeira, but I'm not going anywhere near it)
I will be about 200 nms off Cape/Cabo Finisterre (Europe's Hatteras) because the weather is always crap there... its a compression zone in NE or SW winds... or any other winds. So prudent is 200 nms, better is 300nms.
The point 30N 28Wis just an ambit point. It wont really be there but it would be terrific if I was close-ish.
Most people say you need to go south of the Canary Islands to get good winds.... these people are looking at November / December crossings. March is not November. The Azores High is much further north.
Yellow line is the southern extent of SW storms/lows/Azores High in March/April. The line can move, wriggle and dance, but unlikely to come further south at this time of year.
Red dotted lines are shipping lanes/routes.

I'm looking at a nice, soft, slow passage and it will be between 30 and 40 days. I have a girlfriend with me so I really don't care if you insist I can do it in 5 days ... if I can find a hurricane.

I have 2 satellite trackers: Iridium Go and Spot (Thanks @Zanshin !!!!!!!!!!!!)
Iridium, Incl Blogette: SV_SeaLife (predictwind.com)
Spot Trip Viewer: Sea Life (spotwalla.com)
Website which wont have any additional info as I dont know how to upload it at sea: Sea Life – Sailing the World (ourlifeatsea.com)

Going Tuesday if sacrifice to Poseidon works.

Oooops, stuffed that one up... does someone have a spare virgin?

----> Thoughts / comments appreciated even after what I said. But is does get tiring to always hear people tell you to stop in some different ocean.

Mark

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Looks like a plan... We will follow your progress.

Do you have a water maker? I would think so.

What is your plan once you arrive? Float around in the islands or rest and prepare for another passage? Or maybe you will figure that out along the way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
120 gallons of water. 80 man days at sea. Plan on/ ration at 1 gal/day. Make for a 60 day crossing if all goes well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
View attachment 138741
The route is the thick blue line, but I think I can do the red line first if the forecast holds...
I will be about 200 nms off Cape/Cabo Finisterre (Europe's Hatteras) because the weather is always crap there... its a compression zone in NE or SW winds... or any other winds. So prudent is 200 nms, better is 300nms.
The point 30N 28Wis just an ambit point. It wont really be there but it would be terrific if I was close-ish.
Most people say you need to go south of the Canary Islands to get good winds.... these people are looking at November / December crossings. March is not November. The Azores High is much further north.
Yellow line is the southern extent of SW storms/lows/Azores High in March/April. The line can move, wriggle and dance, but unlikely to come further south at this time of year.

I'm looking at a nice, soft, slow passage and it will be between 30 and 40 days. I have a girlfriend with me so I really don't care if you insist I can do it in 5 days ... if I can find a hurricane.

Website which wont have any additional info as I dont know how to upload it at sea: Sea Life – Sailing the World (ourlifeatsea.com)

----> Thoughts / comments appreciated even after what I said. But is does get tiring to always hear people tell you to stop in some different ocean.

Mark
didn't you know? there are no more virgins!
fair winds!

/

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Administrator
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
420 litles of water. Plus 80 litres emergency in water jugs... and about 50 litlres bottled water for Madams coffee... LOL
No water maker. I would love one. But then I'd need a generator too... where does it end?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,698 Posts
Mark,

Have a safe, easy and relaxing trip. My understanding is that that route should be pretty comfortable wind wise this time of year, but pretty chilly.

Please get me a bottle of port when you stop in Madeira? Never mind

Jeff

·
Old soul
4,955 Posts
Got no useful wisdom. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Q: Why are you crossing? Bored? Water looks bluer on the other side? GF told you she wants to swim in the Caribbean? Just curious...

Have a great journey. I aspire to be 1/2 the cruiser you are.

·
Registered
73 Posts
View attachment 138741

Mark
Consider that the Caribbean are still in lockdown. Not much fun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Antiqua Race Week has been cancelled. At least you may get low cost moorage now. They may ask you to quarantine for a while

·
Registered
23,696 Posts
South until the butter melts, then turn West!

Have a pleasant and safe passage. We all look forward to hear how you and your new crew enjoy the trip. Hope you have sufficient chocolate, all I've read about is electronics. Summer in the Caribbean or are you coming to New England?

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
bell ringer
5,051 Posts
Have a good trip. Hope you arrive still having the girlfriend.

·
Administrator
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Administrator
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger. :(
I have been doing pretty extensive upgrades, maintenance on the boat... Ive owned it for 13 years, its 20 years old, so age does take its toll. But I thought a month or 2 solid would be fine, but, boy-o-boy, yards. They can slow the simplest job to a frustrating crawl.

So I will be very. very happy if I can get to sea tomorrow. Captain Ron was wrong. It ifs going to happen its going to happen in the Yard.

Mark

1 - 20 of 139 Posts