SailNet Community banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
Might be a little cost prohibitive though.
It's cost and airway congestion that need to be resolved. You're right, we can physically do it already.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They are not entirely out of coffee, just Nescafe, that is the kind where it is instant coffee: One teaspoon of Nescafe into a cup and hot water. I use it myself. It is convenient. Available at Costco. They still have coffee beans, but you have to grind them and put it into a French Press. It really makes better coffee but it is much more work. On Atalanta we had a full time cook. She did not stand watch but cooked for the nine of us. We eat very well. She had a full kitchen available incl. dishwasher. There was always hot coffee like on a US Navy ship. We took first place in the Grand Prix. That is a regatta in the Fall by invitation only and the winner is the top boat in Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. In my travels I met one boat where they carried raw coffee beans and roasted them before grinding. That really made superior coffee but is a lot of work.

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
They are not entirely out of coffee, just Nescafe, that is the kind where it is instant coffee
You're right. In an earlier post he just said coffee, but later made this more clear.

My British relatives all do this. One cup of instant coffee in the morning, then it's on to tea the rest of the day. I will drink instant, when necessary, such as when backpacking and there is no way you'll haul a proper coffee pot. However, I find it little more than a vehicle to jump start the caffeine. I swear my relatives are just trying to get that part over with, as their tea drinking then becomes an art form.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I grew up on Nescafe, but it was also candy coffee: a lot of cream and sugar. I only now use it when backpacking; the french press on the boat works very nicely (and also for car camping). I have an aeropress, which makes fabulous coffee, but is more mucking and work than the French press. I still prefer Nescafe to other instant coffee (starbucks...bleh).

Very excited watching their progress...and it's telling about "blue water boats".

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm not a big fan of perculator coffee, but I use to carry a pot when backpacking. I just took the the guts out and filled it with socks and other soft clothing. the stem didn't take much room elsewhere. French press on the boat. Can't remember the last time I had instant coffee.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I actually like percolator coffee OK (it really can be outstanding, as long as you aren't over-extracting, which of course, most people do, even with a Mr. Coffee drip maker), and it used to be my camping go-to. I am "old" now, and have a kid to haul around, so the premium on weight savings for backpacking has only gotten bigger. The single-serve Nescafe packets make me quite happy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’ve used every “espresso” style coffee device known to man in search of something that comes even close to my home espresso setup. Best we’ve come up with is a mokapot and the 9Barista espresso maker. I use both on the boat. We use the Moka pot for my wifes latte, and I use the 9Barista for a true double espresso. We have a quality hand grinder. I’m real serious and spoiled about espresso. The 9Barista is very good, and easy to use, but its a double shot and thats it until it cools down.

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
I have a home espresso machine as well and to work it’s best, the brew group really needs to heat soak for at least 30 mins. The boiler will get to temp in a few minutes, however, if the plumbing is still cold, it cools the water down too much, while pulling the shot. Way too much power needs for a boat, if not plugged into shore.

The closest thing I’ve found was a big surprise. A Nespresso machine. I’ve only tried them, so can’t recall the exact pod we used and I know they make many different ones. It was pretty good, far better than I expected. It will go from cold to a shot in a few minutes, which I’m sure any average size house inverter could handle.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I have a Nespresso machine aboard the boat. The coffee is acceptable and quick to make, plus the capsules last a very long time which is nice when cruising around off the grid. I have just finished a popcorn popper coffee roaster build with an Arduino that lets me control the fan speed and temperature for coffee roasting, I can hook this up to a program called "Artisan" (public domain, but used by commercial roasting companies) to make a perfect roasting profile. If this works, I'll make coffee aboard (green beans can be stored for a year or so before fading). I use an Aeropress to make coffee, but also have a French Press and a Mokka Pot for darker roasts.

While "Happy Hour" is important while cruising the Caribbean, if I don't have my coffee in the morning I won't even make it that far in the day :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
And, after a more than a month at sea without a port of call, they'll have to likely quarantine for 3 days until a negative PCR test comes back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mark had to leave France because he did overstay his visa. He knows the Caribbean well and knew it was a good time for the passage. In normal times, no Covid, he could have stopped on the way and broken up the very long passage and resupplied. But at this time, any visit in port would have entailed quarantine until he and his woman clears. This virus is a feast for bureaucrats. I can't even sail to Hot Springs because BC is closed. No hot bath for Pete! And not much socializing for M&M without masks. On many of the French islands, Donald M. Street writes, bikinis have become so expensive that many women economize and go ou naturel. But they have to wear a mask? What is the world coming to?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mark just wrote:
Crap App - Duplicate Posts
Tue Apr 20 2021
This platform really is unacceptable in this day, especially considering the hundreds of dollars per year we pay for it, plus the THOUSAND+ per YEAR for the satellite subscription, plus the $1,000+ for the equipment.
It would have been unacceptable in the 1990’s and is total unacceptable garbage today.
Iridium should utterly ashamed of themselves.
PredictWind have no choice but Iridium until Elon Musk puts Iridium out of business… even so, PredictWind needs to spend more fixing this platform. Their weather is great, the software diabolical bulltwaddle! In the very least PredictWind should tell users many of the land based weather features such are SPIRE and UKMO are not available at sea. And clearly state the shortcomings of the Android and PC platforms.
Right, I need a Mars Bar.
Mark

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
For sure, the IridiumGo is ancient technology. We may have discussed this above, but perhaps in another thread. It’s nothing more than a 1990s satellite phone that is stripped down, with some proprietary interfaces. It’s affordable by Sat standards and good co-marketing with Predict Wind.

Whether Elon Musks Starlink ultimately provides mid-ocean connectivity is to be seen. It is clearly NOT their target audience. Hope so, but we’re a grain of sand on that beach.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was wondering what the latest was, so I translated (okay Google Translated it) the last post that just popped up today. I've been silently following this thread for weeks. So Marjorie writes:

We arrived soon and that's it, last night I discovered my first tropical showers! Yes, yes, it was about time!
The night started well. The moon was so bright that there was no need for a flashlight. It was pretty calm and my stomach was full of duck confit.
A little later the boat got carried away, we climbed to 8 knots. Mark got up to join me in the cockpit. Only a few drops fall. We reduce the sail. We stayed outside for nearly 15 minutes, readjusting the sail and checking that the wind was not turning. A bird just over 1m wide hovers above us. No problem. That's nice.
Mr. Le Capitaine tells me that I have a choice: there will be other gusts so either I leave it like that or I enlarge the genoa but then it will have to be reduced afterwards. He is going to sleep.
I wait 20 minutes. Nothing. The speed goes down. 4 knots, 3.7 knots, 3.5 knots. Uh ... well ok, I'm going to make this wing bigger! I go out. The moon is no longer illuminating. I put on my headlamp and do my job. Just when I'm done I smell a drop, then two. I say to myself “ah no! it's not possible ! And the bam! 8 knots and heavy rain! So I am reducing the sail that I just enlarged. I struggle with the "furling line" despite Mark telling me that morning that my arms were less "flap flap" than before boarding (Yes he is romantic. He knows the words of love when kissing. ). I wonder if we can end up electrocuted with a headlamp while I go mad on that damn line. And I end up soaked. Mark stood up to see how it was going. He said to me with a laugh "ah, it's the tropics! this is how it should be every day! "He laughs so much in front of my head grumbles that he is bent in half and adds:" When it goes below six, make the genoa bigger! ". He goes back to bed still laughing at my annoyed look.
Well imagine that a little later rebels! Just when I reduce the genoa, it starts to blow!
Ah! The clock shows 3:45! 15 minutes left and I let Mark fend for himself

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
The current report says zero knots over ground. Great to see! Congratulations on the safe passage!

141 - 160 of 185 Posts