SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I am a beginner sailor. I just acquire a 1978 O'DAY 30 and this season will be my first. I am looking for a couple to sail with me and my wife to Provincetown on the July 4th weekend, leaving from Warwick RI You will need to captain the boat since i have never sailed this far by myself. Anyone interested?
PS: How hard is this passage ?

Fair Winds
Gladson
SV MarJul

·
Registered
21,593 Posts
It’s a very straight forward passage. Of course, one would be wise to insure it’s done during good weather and not be on a mandatory schedule. Current in Buzzards Bay and the Cape Cod Canal are important planning items. You must motor through the canal.

Hope you find the help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It’s a very straight forward passage. Of course, one would be wise to insure it’s done during good weather and not be on a mandatory schedule. Current in Buzzards Bay and the Cape Cod Canal are important planning items. You must motor through the canal.

Hope you find the help.
What Minnewaska said. Plan ahead with those currents. Buzzards Bay is easy, but take that 0.5-1 knot current (in favour and against) in your ETA calculation for reaching the Cape Cod Canal. You Must enter the canal at the appropriate time.

Planning any stops? I have done Portsmouth RI - Marion MA a few times, back and forth. This can take 10hours or more (if you plan to sail). Plan for light winds, and suddenly could rise to 20-25kn...It's Buzzards Bay. Spinnaker? That's a good option going up the bay in summer.

Leaving Newport you can have some swelling system until you are more protected by the Elizabeth islands. A little of excitement.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
My take:

This is a pretty long sail for your boat... more than 100nm each way

The captain should check out the boat, rig, sails and all safety equipment including VHF, PFDs and so on. DO not assume your good to go and any sailor can come aboard and sail your boat (and instruct you). It certainly is doable.

You'll likely traverse the Cape Cod Canal... you have to do it at SLACK tide. And you want a fair tide to ride from the canal to Ptown.

And current leave Warrick to RI Sound is also an issue. You'll want to ride the ebb tide

Look up the tide charts and PLAN your trip assuming maybe 4 knots... that would be 25+ hrs of sailing

Tide cycles roughly 2x each day.

You may have a fair SW wind to run from Breton Point to CCC... and on to PT if it holds. But it it shifts you can be tacking and / or gybing and do many more miles over the ground,

If your ground tackle has not been tried and tested... you'll need to have a mooring arranged.

You likely want a dink because if you are not at a dock.. and you'll have to book a slip... you have no way to get to shore for ANYTHING.

+++++

My recommendation:

Sail in Narraganset Bay and take a mooring in Newport and use Oldport Launch Service

·
Registered
401 Posts
First congrats on your new boat! I will second all that has been said above. I did a quick route and you are looking at approx 88nm + or-, and taking in timing for the CCC it will be a min. of a 2 day trip(both ways) if the timing works out for a early/mid morning transit thru the CCC. I would think that to be a rather aggressive trip for a new sailor with a new to you boat. Just my Humble Opinion. SandraO's idea of Newport is a good one, thou getting a mooring there on the 4th might be hard. Everywhere is very busy on the water around the 4th. You might want to consider somewhere to anchor. CuttyHunk comes to my mind as one of the most beautiful places in the local area.
Enjoy your new vessel and have fun learning and working out all the nuances of the boat and sailing in general.
Be safe and remember NO TIME TABLES(even thou we all do it)

Peter

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
First congrats on your new boat! I will second all that has been said above. I did a quick route and you are looking at approx 88nm + or-, and taking in timing for the CCC it will be a min. of a 2 day trip(both ways) if the timing works out for a early/mid morning transit thru the CCC. I would think that to be a rather aggressive trip for a new sailor with a new to you boat. Just my Humble Opinion. SandraO's idea of Newport is a good one, thou getting a mooring there on the 4th might be hard. Everywhere is very busy on the water around the 4th. You might want to consider somewhere to anchor. CuttyHunk comes to my mind as one of the most beautiful places in the local area.
Enjoy your new vessel and have fun learning and working out all the nuances of the boat and sailing in general.
Be safe and remember NO TIME TABLES(even thou we all do it)

Peter
Book a mooring NOW with Oldport and do a relaxed sail during the day with lots of daylight.... You can circumnav Jamestown. Boat is new... lots to learn. Newport has a West Marine ;-)...

Cuttyhunk is lovely... eel grass bottom so anchors do drag. A word to the wise.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Have done this trip many times on boats from 24’ to 46’. I wouldn’t do it without reliable ground tackle. If I miss the timing to go through the canal simply drop an anchor and wait. Usually anchor off Onset but any place in buzzards near the canal will serve. No reason to enter a port for a mooring or slip.
There’s a harbor of rescue inside the canal near the mass bay side in sandwich but it’s crowded and not usually much help when you’re returning home. Rather be better about timing my leaving ptown or get there early and just do loops until timing is good.
Have fun.

·
11,748 Posts
Hi everyone!
I am a beginner sailor. I just acquire a 1978 O'DAY 30 and this season will be my first. I am looking for a couple to sail with me and my wife to Provincetown on the July 4th weekend, leaving from Warwick RI You will need to captain the boat since i have never sailed this far by myself. Anyone interested?
PS: How hard is this passage ?

Fair Winds
Gladson
SV MarJul
A three day weekend up and back is a lot to chew on for an experienced sailor, let a lone an untested boat and new crew.

We sailed this a number of times. Buzzards Bay wind vs current can be steep and rough. As Sander said the Canal needs to be taken at slack or with the current.

This is a great sailing area. The whole area from the Elizabethans to the Vineyard would be an adventure. Lots of things to learn

If you want your wife to continue to keep going out maybe a weektrip up and back with stops along the way should be in order. I am sure you are excited on your purchase, but do this in steps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats on the new boat. I am not interested in the trip but it might be helpful if you had a current copy of Eldridge Tide Table. I have found the tables extremely useful sailing this area.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts
You cant do two long days both ways in three days...

For a three day trip, take a trip to Cuttyhunk and back.

If you have four, days, upgrade the destination to Vineyard Haven.

You are not likely to find an experienced boater who wants to spend a few days travelling on a strange boat with strangers. If you really want that result, look to hire a captain at $300/day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
I know you are excited for your new boat and itching to get out there. However, i would recommend you spend the 4th closer to home and get in some boat ownership practice.

The 4th is still be early in the season for some, how much time will you have to learn all this new stuff. New boat, untested systems, probably old fuel. A spaghetti mess of running rigging you need to learn and not everyone who sails will immediately know the nuances of sailing your boat. Did you hire a rigger to inspect the standing rigging?

Holiday weekends are the best and the absolute worst times to be out there. So many little things go wrong the first few weeks of new boat ownership, the learning curve is steep. So many things to clog, so many things to bind up. :)

·
Registered
21,593 Posts
Yes, it's not going to be easy for the OP to find this couple to help them, but it's not impossible either. It depends on what circles they are in. All you really need to have is a local bar in RI to find such a resource, by word of mouth. I stumble upon these volunteers all the time and I'm not looking.

I'd like to assume the experienced help will know what to do to insure the vessel is properly prepared for the trip. The OP should exercise this caution, when choosing this resource. A qualified paid skipper is a good idea, if the right volunteer isn't found. It will add up, however. Per diem wage, food and travel.

They also never said they were going round trip over one weekend. The OP says "I am looking for a couple to sail with me and my wife to Provincetown on the July 4th weekend, leaving from Warwick RI".

It won't be possible to get there and back, but it's easily possible to get there in two daylight passages. There are also ample places to bail out along this coastal route, not to mention full SeaTow or TowBoatUS coverage. I highly recommend tow insurance to the OP (or anyone). It's $150/yr, as opposed to $200 per hour of towing and the tow boat charges until they get back home, not just you.

Otherwise, it's a near shore coastal passage. They don't really get any easier, unless you stay in fully protected water.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Consensus seems that the Ptown trip is way too optimistic.

Spend a lot of time getting to know your boat, organizing and labeling rigging if need be, out things in order.... practice using the gear and get a friend who is interested in sailing to join in.

Take short day sails.... practice anchoring, mooring and getting on and off a dock or into a slip. LEARN your basic knots COLD. Fiddle around with and make "sense" of sail trim.

There is great day sailing in Narragansett Bay and a bunch of close you destinations. Do a circum nav of Jamestown. Learn the ColeRegs and rules of the road. Practice MOB, backing, reefing... LEARN ABOUT weather... how to read clouds.

LOTS & LOTS of fun stuff to get under your belt before YOU take off for a multi day cruise.

·
11,748 Posts
I would look at a trip to the forks of Long Island through you first season including the 4th. Destinations like Block, Mauntalk, Sag Harbor, Greenport. Visit Mystic, Saybrooke, Stonington. Practice anchoring techniques. Learn your new boat. These can all be weekend trips in wTers no quite as challenging as a Provincetown run.
As you get more practiced take on part of that trip. Elizabethan Islands, Martha Vineyard, Sictuate.

Gain some experience and confidence in your boat. Keep the trip fun so your wife supports you using the boat. Remember your goals and hers may differ, and your risk aversions may also be different. Building a good sailing foundation and having fun will go a long way to eventual longer adventures and trips. Patience is important .
I’m not saying be a nanny and not challenge yourself, just be patient.

·
Registered
21,593 Posts
Too many assumptions on what beginner means and the relative experience of each half of the couple.

·
Registered
21,593 Posts
I am reacting to the relative advice on how hard a passage this is. This is not a hard passage, for a 30ft boat, with an experienced couple aboard, in the right conditions. We also have no idea if the OP is a new boater or just a new sailor. Big difference. We don't know how new. Maybe they are quite experienced sailing around the Bay. Are he and his wife very adventurous, athletic, or otherwise. Do they share this dream or is one more enthusiastic than the other? Too many assumptions. Much of the advice above is good, if you assume certain answers.

·
11,748 Posts
I was lucky like that too. My first keel boat was an Islander 28. Though I was nationally rank in Hobie 16 racing, knowledge of a boat with systems was not there.

I had two good friends who had major experience to go out with me plus I was heavily involved in keelboat racing in a series for a few years. After I got Haleakula I did over 15 long range cruising deliveries with experienced delivery captains to the islands. I owe what know to others.....then my own experience . It’s important to pay it forward I believe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts