SailNet Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
2,324 Posts
I find things to be a little bit crazy on the water July 4th. I usually leave my boat docked that weekend Not saying you should change plans or wont have fun, but - I'd go a different weekend.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Summer holidays will see most who own boats out on the water. This means that channels... rhumb lines between harbors and many entry buoys will be "crowded" with boats. And for sure way too much alcohol is consumed as well. Anchorages and mooring fields get busier as well as marinas and fuel docks. It's also a festive party atmosphere... not the conditions for gentle communion with nature.

The key is to play to arrive wherever you are going early enough to get a "good anchoring spot" for the evening. This may mean you have to book a mooring or a slip.

We've always extended our mini cruises around holidays when there are fewer boats on the water... and normally stay put for a few days and do shore side things.

Your decision on the 4th should be informed by considering all the factors which can effect the sail.

++++

Strangers on board is a huge crap shoot. A multi day sail is not the way to learn that someone is not your cuppa. Vet ashore to limit surprises... But they still can happen. You're in a confined space for says. You'd better be fine with the company.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,138 Posts
Hi everyone!
I am a beginner sailor. I just acquire a 1978 O'DAY 30 and this season will be my first. I am looking for a couple to sail with me and my wife to Provincetown on the July 4th weekend, leaving from Warwick RI You will need to captain the boat since i have never sailed this far by myself. Anyone interested?
PS: How hard is this passage ?

Fair Winds
Gladson
SV MarJul
May I respectfully suggest that you HIRE a sailor as captain to help you make your first passage in your new to you boat. If the captain is a sailing instructor, they will show you the "ASA" or "US/Sailing" way of doing things.

Let me share a story about a planned voyage that I had made with new-to-me crew. I am an experienced sailor (you can see my qualifications in my sig) and had a planned trip with crew that I met on-line aboard my 1987 O'day 35. The trip was planned from Warwick, RI, to Cuttyhunk, MA, and back in early June of 2019. The planned departure was the first Tuesday in June.

The first Tuesday in June poured rain and there were 25+ knot winds. We pushed the trip off to the next Tuesday. Next Tuesday rolls around, and the forecast was the same, There was a conflict for the next Tuesday, so we pushed to the last Tuesday in June 2019.

That Tuesday came, and while there was wind and rain in the forecast, it wasn't terrible. So, we set off down the West Passage at 9:am. We rounded Beavertail, and the rain started, but we were expecting it. My crew pulled one of those rain ponchos that you get for $5 at a baseball game from his bag. For me, this put his sailing credentials in question. Fortunately, I had two sets of rain gear aboard, and I lent one to him. As we passed the entrance for the East Passage the wind started building out of the south, probably 15-20kts, and I had crew that I was uncertain of aboard, so we double reefed the main. The wind continued to build out of the southeast and I double reefed the jib. Before we reached the Sakonnet River the wind was blowing steady 25-30 knots and rain was coming at us sideways. We were double reefed, doing 7.7kts on a close reach, and the wind was still building. If we kept up at this speed something was going to break, and possibly someone was going to get hurt. I therefore scrubbed the trip to Cuttyhunk and we put in at a quiet, protected anchorage in Tiverton that I know of. The next day's updated NOAA forecast was updated to similar conditions with even stronger winds. We never made it to Cuttyhunk, but we did return to Warwick unscathed - albeit wet.

The point of this story is that to set a definite destination with a deadline in unknown boat with untested crew is foolish. You don't know what mother nature is going to throw at you. Better to have an experienced captain aboard, especially one that has local knowledge, who can show you how to use the boat, and help get you and your crew started with your new-to-you boat safely.

[EDIT] Adding that you could contract an instructor through a school (there are at least three of them in Narragansett Bay), AND you would get ASA or US/Sailing "certified." But if you do, you are going to pay at least 3X the price that an instructor would charge. An instructor, however, cannot provide you with certification unless you work through a school.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi everyone!
I am a beginner sailor. I just acquire a 1978 O'DAY 30 and this season will be my first. I am looking for a couple to sail with me and my wife to Provincetown on the July 4th weekend, leaving from Warwick RI You will need to captain the boat since i have never sailed this far by myself. Anyone interested?

Fair Winds
Gladson
SV MarJul
I really apologize for not answering sooner. It is my first post and I had trouble figuring out how to reply. I AM a new boater/sailor. I am more passionate about sailing than my wife. I have sailed before on 17' and 19' sailboats out of the Boston Harbor and Charles River. I appreciate all the advices and referrals to nice places for the 4th.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi everyone!

Fair Winds
Gladson
SV MarJul
I really apologize for not answering sooner. It is my first post and I had trouble figuring out how to reply. I AM a new boater/sailor. I am more passionate about sailing than my wife. I have sailed before on 17' and 19' sailboats out of the Boston Harbor and Charles River. I appreciate all the advices and referrals to nice places for the 4th.
I would also love some referrals for a private instructor in the area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi everyone!

Fair Winds
Gladson
SV MarJul
That's a big trip for that boat for a weekend. We used to sail out of EGYC, so departure area was about the same but our boat was much faster. You will be sailing and motoring almost nonstop the better part of a day each way to Provincetown. And as others have said, Canal timing is crucial so you can't just pick up and leave at dawn and hope for the best.

It's all about how you want to sail. If your dream trip is sailing from pre-dawn until dark, that's OK. We preferred shorter trips, with some time to get off the boat and explore or go to dinner.

Your boat will take a while to do that trip, I'd think about that as more of a week vacation, not a long weekend. We never went from EGYC to P-town on a weekend, that was a long weekend trip for us in our boat which covers quite a bit more water than yours. Weekends from Warwick were generally to Block or Cuttyhunk, both of which were 5 or 6 hour sails from Greenwich Cove. For us...we plan trips at seven knots. YMMV

Do it step-wise so you will have fun instead of grinding it out and sailing nonstop, only to turn around and sail back the next day. Warwick - Dutch Harbor or Newport (2-4 hours? Often upwind...). Dutch to Cutty (~24-28 miles). Cutty to Onset. Wait for the canal slack in Onset then head to Ptown. Spend a couple in P-Town then reverse it.

Something like that. That's why it's a week.

I've never been at Cutty for the 4th, but it's a lovely place. You won't get inside the pond unless you get there way early, I imagine, and the outside moorings are probably full early, too. We always anchored our current boat at Cutty, but we were too big for the pond.

4th weekend is a madhouse at Block, but still fun. You have to get there days early for a mooring, and early for an anchorage. We went out a couple of times a couple days early to anchor out then be the center boat for a raft with a couple of friends. Good times, if crowded.

I do miss those old stomping grounds.

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
While I stick by my input that this isn’t a hard passage in the right conditions, it is a long passage, as we’ve all pointed out. Now knowing your wife is less passionate, you should consider how much less. If that means you’re the sailor and she just coming coming along to support you, keep the daily sailing under 3 or 4 hours. As you learn, you’ll want to push your personal envelope to experience a little more wind or seas. Never expose the less enthusiastic to anything scary for them. Otherwise, you may find her support will go the wrong way and you’ll be in a long line of guys here asking about the best single handed boats and how to get your wife to go sailing with you. The trick is, never turn her off in the first place.

My wife is an avid sailor now. She never sailed a day in her life before we met. She was interested and took lessons (not from me). We now live aboard 4 days per week all season and she’ll take night watches alone. However, after any very long passage, I better not think of another long passage right away and we better be doing something that was worth spending all the time getting there. It’s a pretty fair understanding.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,138 Posts
I would also love some referrals for a private instructor in the area.
<ahem - cough, cough> See my sig.

I have planned the trip from Warwick to P-town for the sailing club that I used to belong to. It is like herding cats, because people all had different boats, different cruising speeds, different priorities, and different abilities. I had to plan for the least common denominator (not aggressive and slow).
The itennerary looked like this:
  • Day 1 - Get underway from Warwick
  • Night 1: stop at 3rd beach or Newport
  • Night 2: stop at Cuttyhunk - Skipper planning session for riding the current through the canal on the next day
  • Night 3: P-town
  • Night 4: P-town
  • Night 5: stop in Onset
  • Night 6: stop at Cuttyhunk
  • Night 7: stop in Dutch Harbor
  • Day 8: return to Warwick
PM me if you would like to know more about my instructional/delivery services.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
I'll add one more thing to consider when planning a trip like this. The farther out the forecast, the less predictable. It's a new to you boat, things can break. If, like me, you might HAVE to get back to work on time, consider the financial and logistical possibilities of leaving your boat for a few days for repair (or return to fix it yourself) or a comfortable weather window.

I chose NYC for the fourth of July for just the reasons above. Plenty of marinas both ways and easy access to a train/bus/ferry home. If the weather turns to snot for a few days we can hunker down. If I need to get back to the grind for a few days I'll just leave the boat and come back on my days off. No worries is a big part of our vacation :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am reacting to the relative advice on how hard a passage this is. This is not a hard passage, for a 30ft boat, with an experienced couple aboard, in the right conditions. We also have no idea if the OP is a new boater or just a new sailor. Big difference. We don't know how new. Maybe they are quite experienced sailing around the Bay. Are he and his wife very adventurous, athletic, or otherwise. Do they share this dream or is one more enthusiastic than the other? Too many assumptions. Much of the advice above is good, if you assume certain answers.
It's not a hard passage, not really. You can get into some snot anywhere along the way, but on the whole with planning it is not difficult.

But it is a long one in a 30 footer.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts