SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends wife, who is always sick, went out with us a couple weeks ago. Very light wind and just floated around for about an hour maybe hour and a half. We came back and barbequed some food and she seemed fine and had no complaints. When I talked to him the next week he said she felt sick for two days after. Does not know why and thought it was some kind of heat/sun sickness. anyone ever hear of anything like this?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
if people have vertigo or similar the symtoms can last a lot longer than those that dont suffer

heat exposure can compound this

just like too much bbq in the stomach! jajaja

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Food poisoning?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Even after a short drift-about like you describe my wife says that when going to sleep that night the bed will feel like it's floating around under her.

She likes the sensation so it's no problem for her, but I can see if someone was really sensitive to vertigo they might have a problem.

But I would go with the simplest solution. She just got sick like you say she always does, and it had nothing to do with the boat.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well

I can get sea sick if inside the cabin in bad conditions

i can get very sea sick snorkeling to clean the boat bottom if i put myself in enough strange positions and it CAN LAST 24 HOURS

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,666 Posts
+1 on food poisoning

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
A good possibility she has Menieres (Ménière's) Disease, a disease of the inner ear that affects balance + hearing.
When I was young I had it.
After being seasick for days, Id be 'land sick' for more days than I was seasick. Ive had tinnitus (ringing in the ears) ever since.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
If she was " always" sick before she went sailing, and was sick for two days after the sail....perhaps sailing has nothing do to with it. " Sick" is a pretty broad term. It can mean anything.

I'm sick, because it's July and I'm still not in the water but I expect to be cured by the weekend.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I actually feel like i am moving around afterward even with a few minute visit to the boat. And elevators do it to me also. I never thought of it as being sick though. Thanks for the input.
Other people I know who have been diagnosed with Ménière's also complain about 'being sick all the time' - as you described your friends wife.
Some of the newer anti-viral meds are now prescribed to help; but, one needs careful diagnosis and evaluation.

·
Registered
701 Posts
A good possibility she has Menieres (Ménière's) Disease, a disease of the inner ear that affects balance + hearing.
When I was young I had it.
After being seasick for days, Id be 'land sick' for more days than I was seasick. Ive had tinnitus (ringing in the ears) ever since.
Isn't ringing in ears normal? I've been hearing this high pitch ringing ever since I can remember. I thought its normal ...isn't it? :confused:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to clarify, she is not always sick. She just seems to be sick alot. And yes, I have been sick before, just trying to figure out if there is some legit reason and if anyone has heard of this before.

·
Registered
25,106 Posts
I make every non sailor I take take meclizine an hour before.
There are several common conditions that are counter-indicated for taking most anti-histamine based motion sickness meds. Enlarged prostate is one, which is very common. I would never insist a passenger take meds, although, I make them available and suggest they read the box before taking them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.