1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
from what I saw on the news.. the Ferry was sitting high and dry on that bar. I would guess that with the full moon that the tide was running at a higher and more brisk pace than usual and the Ferry was pulled out towards the inlet while on it's regular course and nobody noticed?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Damn, some bad juju goin' on in NC this week...

Just about 50 miles up the beach:

Couple rescued from grounded sailboat - News-Times: News

Strange story, "disoriented" is putting it mildly, they missed Beaufort Inlet by a ton... Weather was pretty benign, almost seems like they had to be asleep at the time?

But, at 1800? Weird...
Rescued?? Why would you need to get rescued from that? Seems like you could just hop off and head to the tiki bar on the beach.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ouch. He was pretty well set up to reach into the inlet. Wonder what he was doing off hatteras - going south, right????

What in the world, with the ferry, too?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Ouch. He was pretty well set up to reach into the inlet. Wonder what he was doing off hatteras - going south, right????
Seems like they're full-time cruisers/liveaboards, and you'd have to assume anyone comfortable going outside around Hatteras in mid-December on a boat capable of going down inside to Beaufort, would likely be reasonably experienced offshore sailors... The boat is fitted with a windvane, as well, which lends further credence to that notion...

But what's really curious, is why they were unable to make for Beaufort Inlet, once clearing Cape Lookout Shoals... With a southerly breeze @10-15, sailing right into Beaufort or Morehead would be a piece of cake, those conditions could hardly be any more favorable...

How on earth "the wind and current pushed them" 20 miles further west, makes no sense whatsoever... Aside from the tide running in and out of Beaufort Inlet, there is negligible current running along that coastline inshore, and further offshore any effect from the Stream would tend to set them to the east, instead... And, if they were indeed "pushed ashore" by a 10-15 knot breeze, that doesn't speak very well for their ability to sail clear of a lee shore...

I certainly hope they weren't attempting to enter Bogue Inlet, that would have been incredibly stupid... But, that's precisely where they wound up, so who knows? But there has to be more to this story, and I'm guessing it might involve exhaustion from dealing with the engine issue, or whatever, and the boat simply wound up on the beach while not under command for awhile...

Good news is, assuming conditions don't deteriorate in the meantime, and they didn't have their centerboard down when they came onshore, that Bristol should come off that beach with little in the way of major damage... Rudder probably got a bit tweaked, but that's a tough boat, with a soft Ted Hood underbody that should take to such a grounding pretty kindly... Hopefully that will be the case, and there are far worse places to spend Christmas than Morehead City, or Beaufort...

Oh, well... add yet another one to the endless list of incidents involving cruising sailors that were initially precipitated by "engine trouble"... :)

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
reading the article.. it was stated their engine failed.. so I guess they were heading in for the night and lost power?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That picture reminds me of a sand bar we have down here that we all know to go around. One day I was kind of daydreaming and cut the corner and ran up on it while a buddy of mine was nearby in his sailboat. To do this day, he still calls it my sandbar. :D

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
reading the article.. it was stated their engine failed.. so I guess they were heading in for the night and lost power?
No, the article says they first began experiencing engine trouble near Hatteras, and were planning to head back into Beaufort... whether the engine was running again, is unclear...

If, indeed, they were attempting to enter Bogue Inlet, after dark, well... that would have been a remarkably dumb move...

Good news is, the boat is now off the beach, with the only damage reported being to the rudder...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Damn, another boat goes on the beach, this one just north of Cape May...

"Engine trouble", I wonder?

Sailboat breaking up after running aground in Cold Spring Inlet - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Lower Cape May
Nope, looks like they just drove it into the north jetty, instead...

Cleanup complete after sailboat ran aground | Cape May Gazette News

That takes a special talent, approaching what is by far the most straightforward of all the inlets between New England and, say, Beaufort, or Charleston... And, the only one featuring a powerful lighted range to guide you in... :)

250 gallons of diesel on a sailboat that was "breaking up" on the beach, in proximity to a wildlife refuge? Wow, sounds like they dodged a bullet on that one...

I'd love to know what sort of boat it was. Not too many 47-footers out there are toting around 250 gallons of diesel...

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
at least if you run her up onto the beach at Cold Spring inlet.. or the jetties.. the Coast Guard is right there.

you are right though, but then, I remember a sailor "missing" Absecon inlet and finding himself up on the beach in Brigantine NJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts