SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering moving from a Tartan 4300 to a Passport 470, and am hoping for some insights into the 470, Particularly build quality, sailing characteristics and long range cruising experiences. A Bob Perry design is a strong indicator of the sort of seaworthiness we're looking for, but I can't find a lot of detail on owners experiences on line. We're looking at fairly late model year boats (mid 2010s). I've read a few comments that make me worry a bit about build quality, and I can find very little on how they sail, so hoping to hear from owners, or friends of owners, that can give us some insights. Thank you.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I'd be surprised if a 5-6 year old Passport had broad build quality issues. Where are you hearing that?

We were in the market, looking at Passport 58/61. Hard to find. Their owners seem to covet them. Saw two. One was not for sale, the other was overpriced, but think it sold anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be surprised if a 5-6 year old Passport had broad build quality issues. Where are you hearing that?

We were in the market, looking at Passport 58/61. Hard to find. Their owners seem to covet them. Saw two. One was not for sale, the other was overpriced, but think it sold anyway.
I read a passing comment in a forum about fast turnover of ownership and another about minor issues with the build in a magazine review. Very brief, and in the case of the forum post, unsubstantiated for sure.
Given how little seems to be out there about them I wanted to see what else I could find out. Everything I’ve seen and heard to date has been great, but that’s generally from people who have a bias to get me to buy the boat. 😀

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have friends that have lived aboard one for 10 years. They had to have the hull sandblasted due to osmosis. Also they had really poor water tanks installed. Pinholes in the welds. To fix this they had to disassemble the interior. I think the tanks are beneath the floor. That was an expensive fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have friends that have lived aboard one for 10 years. They had to have the hull sandblasted due to osmosis. Also they had really poor water tanks installed. Pinholes in the welds. To fix this they had to disassemble the interior. I think the tanks are beneath the floor. That was an expensive fix.
Interesting. Any idea what year? And other than the issues noted, did they enjoy sailing her?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Other than that they have been very happy. I think it's a 2006 and they purchased around 2010. For a newer boat it's a pretty traditional hull design. Not meant to be sailed super fast but more designed for comfort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than that they have been very happy. I think it's a 2006 and they purchased around 2010. For a newer boat it's a pretty traditional hull design. Not meant to be sailed super fast but more designed for comfort.
Thanks for the information. that's really helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts