SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick reminder that as of today, passports or some other secure ID are needed to cross the border. This story from CBC has a list of the acceptable forms of ID.

Now if Wilhelm had awarded the San Juans to Canada, as he should have, we would not have this problem. :laugher

Jack

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was lucky to have arrived the day before but it got me to wonder. If the skipper of a vessel deems that it's too dangerous to come to the dock, can I anchor in the bay and take my dingy to the customs dock?
Not really.

The last time I arrived at Roche Harbour, on a pleasure trip with some friends, I made the mistake of fessing up to what I did for a living. I should have said I am retired, which is true. The customs and immigration official got a little suspicious and asked me how I met my girl friend. I explained that we met on a squash court. When he came on board to check everyone out, he asked Marilyn how we met. She gave the same answer. he also asked my friends how we met - we went back to university days.

At this point I am avoiding the San Juans while teaching cruise and learns. I need to check out how I legitimately can cross while working.

The official also indicated that, as a old hand at Roche, he was pretty relaxed, but that some of the new officials might be a little more officious.

They may want to check the vessel for contraband: booze, apples, potatoes, oranges - the dangerous goods. They do check Canadian boats for the cruising permit decal.

The last time a cleared at Friday a number of years ago, we just showed a passports via a video camera. They did not come down to the boat. I am not sure that is still viable.

Jack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts