SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a very clean and solid 1976 Mirage 24 from a yacht dealer, but the only problem with it (besides no spinnaker) is it has no trailer.
Not far away from it in the same yard is a fantastic trailer with a rotting C&C 24 on it.
The guys in the yard said I could probably make an offer on the C&C and walk away with a nice trailer and 15hp motor and gobs of sails and hardware for maybe $500-$1000 bucks. I would then get rid of the C&C and go back and buy the Mirage.
Couple questions:
1- What would be the best way to dispose of the C&C currently on the trailer?
2- The Mirage was designed by C&C, right? Would that make it possible to use much of the hardware/rigging/sails from the junk boat on the Mirage? My main focus here is the spinnaker rig.

Sources in the yard suggest that I could walk away with both boats for anywhere between $2000-$3500, depending on the desperation of the owners to finally be rid of them.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not stuck on having a trailer for a trailer's sake, and I'm not interested in driving a boat around to sail, so the MacGregor does not interest me. I hear too many stories about how that's more of a road boat than a water boat anyway.

My main interest in having a trailer has to do with the initial purchase and storage. Transporting the Mirage I'm looking at could potentially cost as much as the boat itself. It comes with a cradle, but it won't be launched this year, and I would prefer not to keep it at a boat yard over the winter. The fees for storage would add up to the cost of a trailer in a few short years, wouldn't they? If I'm wrong perhaps I should rethink and just get the Mirage. it is a fine craft. Needs a paint job tho.

I can add the spinnaker stuff later on without trying to salvage parts off a junk boat...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm kinda smitten with the Mirage:rolleyes:

I didn't even know that it was really possible to get a boat/cradle on a flatbed without at least a forklift. How did you do it?
Thanks for your suggestions
Kev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.