SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard on Facebook the sad news that Patrick Childress, who used to post here as overthehorizon is no more. He had been battling COVID-19 in South Africa. His wife Rebecca also came down with the virus and is recovering. Apparently the people at the Paper Boat Project are working on a crew to help Rebecca bring their boat back.

I never had the honor of meeting Patrick or Rebecca, but I did enjoy their videos and the updates they shared on their website Where is SV Brick House? - Wandering the globe...on a 40 ft Sailboat

RIP Patrick.

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
Re: Patrick Childress (overthehorizon) is no more

sad, just watched one of his videos 30 minutes ago

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

I just heard on Facebook the sad news that Patrick Childress, who used to post here as overthehorizon is no more. He had been battling COVID-19 in South Africa. His wife Rebecca also came down with the virus and is recovering. Apparently the people at the Paper Boat Project are working on a crew to help Rebecca bring their boat back.

I never had the honor of meeting Patrick or Rebecca, but I did enjoy their videos and the updates they shared on their website Where is SV Brick House? - Wandering the globe...on a 40 ft Sailboat

RIP Patrick.
Very, very sad.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts

RIP Patrick... thank you sharing and living your life so well. You will be missed and remembered.

·
Registered
401 Posts

so sorry for her loss and a loss to all of the sailing communities around the world. Calm Seas and Fair Winds Patrick.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts

Very sorry to learn of Patrick's demise...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

So so sad. You will be missed Patrick.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts

That is horrible. It brings the devastating side of this disease too close to home. It's more sad, considering how few actually perish, but how tilted those odds are toward age. I think Patrick was near 70? My heart goes out to Rebecca, who must be devastated and is now left in South Africa, single handed on their home/boat. Their posts and vlogs seemed to indicate they have many friends in the cruising community, so I'm sure she'll find help to settle the remainder of her life. While inevitable for one of every couple, it often comes too soon.

Fair winds, Patrick. Only the good die young. Young is not defined by age, rather by how much one had left to contribute to their friends and family.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Oh no, I was just binge watching his videos, they were very helpful for me while preparing my boat :(

·
Registered
5 Posts

Re: Patrick Childress RIP

RIP to my role model.
A real gentleman.
His videos have inspired me and Rebecca is fantastic.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,316 Posts

This tough news. Patrick is the second celebrity I sat and watched hoping and praying for a recovery only to see Covid being a losing battle for the aged. His loss is a terrible one for the sailing community. RIP Patrick.

·
Registered
542 Posts

I will raise a toast to the life that he lived and celebrate that life. It is a precious gift.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts

I just read Rebecca's recount of her rush to the hospital yesterday to be with Patrick as he passed. It's heartbreaking. Her entry from the day prior was very positive, so this was unexpected and potentially a blood clot. You can find her entries on their gofundme page. Search for Childress Covid Care. So sad.

His vlogs about a bottom paint experiment and reasonable refit from just months ago, were from a fellow sailor that had every expectation to live for many years to come. It's a good lesson. Never waste a day.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts

I met Patrick and Rebecca in 2013 in the Caribbean.
This is very sad news. Yes they did know everyone in that circumnavigating community and I hope there are plenty of people in South Africa who can help Rebecca now.

Her posts were very difficult to read and the last , this morning, just devastating.

Rest in peace, Patrick... and my condolences to Rebecca and hope things can be worked out there.

I know they have a GoFundMe page and now might be a perfect time for those with a spare dollar.

Mark

·
Gybing in 3,2,1.....
15 Posts
I am saddened by this news. We are fortunate to have had him for the time we did...I am among many who learned many important lessons.
Fair winds and following seas, Mate.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My condolences to Rebecca and the rest of their family. There is way too much death in the world already, even without Covid. This is such sad news.

·
Owl
271 Posts
I just watched the video. Brutal, but full props to her for making and publishing under such heart-wrenching circumstances.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts