SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of running my garmin 76 through a personal computer so i can utilize a large screen. This is possible with the free garmin software , Enroute

I have an old PC that i can use , and a power inverter to install for AC power , another more costly route is to buy a lap top.

Anyone already doing this ? Will my PC hold up on the ocean ?

thanks

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
From my POV as a mostly racing sailor we and everbody else had issues keeping the inside of the boat remotly dry in the recent Around Long Island Race and we dropped out when it was only blowing 30 knots :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you leave a PC on board it probably won't last too long, so make it a cheapie. You can find a laptop cheap enough if you poke around, then you can take it with you.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
I am thinking of running my garmin 76 through a personal computer so i can utilize a large screen. This is possible with the free garmin software , Enroute

I have an old PC that i can use , and a power inverter to install for AC power , another more costly route is to buy a lap top.

Anyone already doing this ? Will my PC hold up on the ocean ?

thanks
Is this software available on the website? I cant seem to locate it.
DD

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use a laptop on my boat and have a 15" monitor in the cockpit. I run Offshore Navigator and have a wireless mouse so I can watch and control the screen from the cockpit. Works great.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
I think you are probably talking about the Garmin nRoute software, which only allows you to use street mapping, not nautical charts, with a Garmin unit. In addition, it requires that you have a City Select unlock code.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you're planing to use Garmin software, another thing to keep in mind is that they've discontinued the BlueChart product on CD/DVD with the 2008 edition (and most of the charts on it are from circa 2004, even though most charts had newer revisions available from NOAA in 2008). They only sell nautical charts on data cards now, which can only be used on a Garmin GPS device and NOT on a computer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I tried the set up last night at home , worked great !
I had already bought the garmin Bluechart and loaded onto my computer here at work and my handheld gps 76 cs in 2007
So I loaded the bluechart cd into my new (used) PC
It went to Garmin online automaticially and this allowed the Bluechart data to be set up on my second computer , for free , it automatically installs the Mapsource program that runs the bluechart data.
Then it took me about 1/2 hour to find the enroute software , as it is hidden on the Garmin site , that address is at home , so if you want it i will have to get it from there.

Pluged my handheld into the usb port on the computer , put it out the window , locked onto some satellites , and it worked perfect . I could see my gps position and a route i set up, the bluechart data, all on a 19 inch monitor.
SWEET
I will take my PC off the boat when not using it , only plan to use it if i am out for 50 km or more

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I'm in the market for a new laptop and am considering the new 13" Macbook Pro. The rugged chassis would seem to be an advantange for use on the boat but the reviews indicate the screen is extremely difficult to use in sunlight. That made me go back and take another look at Windows laptops which seem to have the same problem.

In reality I would expect I'd only use the laptop at the nav station but would like the option to bring it to the cockpit if the helm mounted GPS goes TU or if I just want the more detailed NOAA charts.

Anyone got a suggestion for a sunlight readable laptop with enough graphics power to run a flight sim when its not on the boat? Other than that, my computing demand is fairly low, just a couple of spreadsheets I use regularly.

If I go with the PC I'll continue to run the free SeaClear and NOAA charts but will have to buy a similar program for the Mac.

I'm going to wait a couple of months since both MS and Apple are introducing new OS's in the next couple of months. The resident Windows hater in the office has a beta version of Windows 7 and says its pretty good, which is incrediably high praise comming from him. That somewhat undermines my resolve to go all Mac at home.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
Another PC option is this one... fit-PC2 Wiki. It's not waterproof, but it is fanless and draws only 7 watts of power full out, plus it has graphics acceleration for full out HD video since the Atom processor is pretty slow at graphics. It also has built in audio and wireless and only costs $305 (plus either a 2.5" hard drive or SSD). We're considering one of these units.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you are the do it yourself type you can get the 12VDC powered Intel Axom motherboard, cpu and video for around $100. Add a hard drive, a case and you are set. Very low power, less than 1 amp on your DC.

Still trying to find a good DC powered display as to not have to run an inverter at all for navigation. My 1000W inverter draws more power on with no load than the computer does.

Intel® Desktop Board D945GSEJT - Overview

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think you are probably talking about the Garmin nRoute software, which only allows you to use street mapping, not nautical charts, with a Garmin unit.
Labatt - that last comment is *technically* incorrect. I *HAVE* to use nRoute on BlueCharts 2008.5 if I want to use real time tracking with my Garmin 76CSx acting as my "puck" gps. Mapsource no longer supports tracking, stopped doing that a couple of versions ago *ugh*.

What is frustrating, nee enraging, is that the newest version of City Navigator NT (Street Mapping) in fact *DOES NOT* work with nRoute!!! So you CANT use that for on land real time tracking anymore!! They have *YET ANOTHER* utility called "MobilePC" that is basically a NUVI emulator that you have to use for on the go tracking for the newest City Navigator maps. OR, you can down convert your maps to use with nRoute. The U/I for Nuvi emulator doesn't really work well with a laptop, its really designed for a dumbed down touchscreen...which is bad for just tracking/plotting on a boat.

So, then I'm using down-coversion utilities, MobilePC, nRoute *AND* Mapsource which a couple years ago I did all in Mapsource. Talk about market segmentation gone awry!!!!

And dont get me started with their de-support of BlueChart. Those new cards can work with a PC, but overall what a PITA!!!

Its almost enough to make you go back to Raymarine RNS...oh god, what a crap-awful U/I.

I'm really hoping OpenCPN matures quickly, I see now that they have precompiled binaries, rather than downloading source and making your own. Hallelujah! When I find time, I'm going to try downloading and running this on my Mac...this looks promising.

BTW, I run a last-gen black Macbook. I love it on the boat, except that under Parallels (for Garmin hookup) its a power hog because the fan is *ALWAYS* on. So my laptop fan is on, my little inverter fan turns on, and I see amps whisping away through the air. Need a better solution for cruising.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts