SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of running my garmin 76 through a personal computer so i can utilize a large screen. This is possible with the free garmin software , Enroute

I have an old PC that i can use , and a power inverter to install for AC power , another more costly route is to buy a lap top.

Anyone already doing this ? Will my PC hold up on the ocean ?

thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I tried the set up last night at home , worked great !
I had already bought the garmin Bluechart and loaded onto my computer here at work and my handheld gps 76 cs in 2007
So I loaded the bluechart cd into my new (used) PC
It went to Garmin online automaticially and this allowed the Bluechart data to be set up on my second computer , for free , it automatically installs the Mapsource program that runs the bluechart data.
Then it took me about 1/2 hour to find the enroute software , as it is hidden on the Garmin site , that address is at home , so if you want it i will have to get it from there.

Pluged my handheld into the usb port on the computer , put it out the window , locked onto some satellites , and it worked perfect . I could see my gps position and a route i set up, the bluechart data, all on a 19 inch monitor.
SWEET
I will take my PC off the boat when not using it , only plan to use it if i am out for 50 km or more

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.