SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone. Went for a sail on the Magothy yesterday on my Pearson 26 and the rudder sheared off at the hull line. I've had her for 2 years and in that time completed a week long cruise around the bay and, in early October, completed a Delmarva circumnavigation. Have also been out in 20+kts many times before with no issues. I suppose I was sailing on borrowed time.

Fortunately the incident happened right in front of a marina and I was able to sail enough to pull her into a slip with no other damage. I've looked at D&R, Foss Foam, and Mass Marine parts so far but wanted to put a call.

All that said, does anyone know of a p26 rudder with a stainless steel shaft for sale?

Thanks in advance!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Why don't you do some diving to find the old and rebuild it?

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
If you know where it separated diving could be a good idea. If you don't know exactly it could be a career though.

Check around for P26's being parted out.

I would re-post the question here Pearson - SailboatOwners.com

It is the Pearson Owners Group, part of SailboatOwners.com

At the very least it will probably lead to the measurements and then you can make one.

New rudders can be expensive. Foss Foam (at NewRudders.com) lists the P26 rudder as a standard stock item.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you mitiempo. I'll certainly post there as well. I've though about making a new one as this year's winter project and plan to solicit some feedback/guidance on that front as well.

Diving for it unfortunately is probably a fools errand. Couldn't pin point where exactly is fell off and the chesapeake mud, I imagine, is slowly burying it. Would it be be possible to rebuild a rudder with a broken shaft? Would that just entail welding on a new section of tubing?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I priced out rudders for my p26 last year. D&R and Foss both quote around $1600. Massmarineparts sometimes has salvaged rudders, and they quoted around half of new. The problem with used is that you need to make sure that the stock is stainless, not aluminum, which was stock on the earlier P26.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Thank you mitiempo. I'll certainly post there as well. I've though about making a new one as this year's winter project and plan to solicit some feedback/guidance on that front as well.

Diving for it unfortunately is probably a fools errand. Couldn't pin point where exactly is fell off and the chesapeake mud, I imagine, is slowly burying it. Would it be be possible to rebuild a rudder with a broken shaft? Would that just entail welding on a new section of tubing?
I would use a new shaft since yours is broken. Stainless preferred as the size is small on yours - guessing 1" maybe. A good welding shop can create the armature necessary and attach it to the new shaft. I don't think aluminum is a good choice.

Here is an interesdting article on rudder construction by Charlie Doane at Wavetrain FIBERGLASS BOATBUILDING: Rudder Construction

The easiest method would be plywood and epoxy layers faired at the edges and glassed totally afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know if you have solved this yet or not but I happen to have a spare rudder that I could part with for a price substancially less than that offered by D&R. Reply here and we can discuss details.

·
Registered
214 Posts
DeniseO30: I saw this video, then viewed another that claimed a foam with density 8 to 16 lb per sq ft should be used. The vid used pourable foam, but the rebuild was quite a bit different. No metal fins were used for the foil shape. Here is the one I am referring to. Any comments on the foam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0tGeAgqqRI

I have read that a rudder normally has neutral buoyancy. Is this true for all/most cases?

I have absolutely zero experience or expertise in this area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did in fact get it figured out. Went with one from Foss Foam. Thanks for the offer!

·
Pearson 26er
5 Posts
Hi All..

We are in need of a Pearson 26 Rudder. Our alum shaft is bent at the connection to the top of the rudder, and the outer and inner aluminum shafts are separated. Tough to fix.. looking for a parted one if any are available used. will check with Massmarineparts next.

Thanks
Jim Fink
919-423-4363
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Hi All..

We are in need of a Pearson 26 Rudder. Our alum shaft is bent at the connection to the top of the rudder, and the outer and inner aluminum shafts are separated. Tough to fix.. looking for a parted one if any are available used. will check with Massmarineparts next.

Thanks
Jim Fink
919-423-4363
[email protected]
Try D&R Marine www.drmarine.com Ask for Rudy. If he doesnt have one ready to go, he'll probably refer you to a source that does. Only accept a replacement rudder with a stainless steel rudder stock.

·
Pearson 26er
5 Posts
Try D&R Marine D & R Marine Ask for Rudy. If he doesnt have one ready to go, he'll probably refer you to a source that does. Only accept a replacement rudder with a stainless steel rudder stock.
Hi, thanks for the referal to D&J..
of note however, for a fresh water boat,, why is the stainless the preffered option, it only broke under unreasonable hi stress from a grounded towing incident.

Although the two aluminum shafts nested together is a bit odd.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Size for size ..... Higher strength characteristics and higher fatigue endurance for the stainless steel.

In the typical failure mode of rudder stocks the 'surface' of the material is what bears 'most' of strength requirements, in that respect common 300 series stainless is stronger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts