SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had one of these for 8.5 years and absolutely loved it. Mine was a 1988 and I just sold it in order to buy a larger boat. I don''t know where you are but I''m aware of another for sale here on the lower Chesapeake Bay. We also had a rather large group of owners which corresponded through email and I can put you in touch with that group, if you''d like. You won''t regret buying that boat.

·
Senior Moment
1,931 Posts
As Sailthechesapeake states, the P-27 is a great boat. I''ve owned a 1989 model since new, so ask away. I can''t say enough good about the boat. She can take more than I can. Only persistent problem I''m aware of is the coating on the keel (epoxy?) that tends to get brittle, and also can get blisters. The fix is easy, however, and the hull is not affected. In fact, I have not heard of a P-27 hull ever having a blister. Will gladly answer any questions that I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for you information! I am looking at a very nice boat priced in the mid 20''s. I was really glad to here that the P-27 had no blister problems. This boat was pulled in 97 with no problems then. I was interested in the best sails for this boat. If I buy it I will have to replace the jib, and wondered what I should replace it with. Would love to talk with the e-mail group that sailthechesapke was referring to. Thanks again for your responses.

·
Senior Moment
1,931 Posts
Bro,

Email me at [email protected] and I''ll hook you up with our P-27 email list. It''s been quiet lately, which usually means no one has any problems and folks are out sailing. It''s a good group to connect with.

As for a new jib, I replaced mine a couple of years ago with a 150 with foam luff. I''m on the Chesapeake with lots of light air in the summer so went for a big sail. Depending on where you''ll be sailing probably a 140 or so would be more than enough. With the 150 I reef the jib early. the 27 is a great light air boat and doesn''t need much to move nicely.

Steve M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts