SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
Reaction score
I have two Rulemate 750s with automatic switches in the bilge.

I tried to clean out the bilge with a garden hose with just a single 750 in the bilge. It emptied the water faster than I could fill it.

Here is my YouTube video of the testing of the second pump:

· Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
Reaction score
I now believe the ultimate set up is 4 bilge pumps, each with a separate hose to the transom: 2 automatics, a manual operated from the cockpit and a manual operated from in the cabin. I still need to install that fourth pump below decks...

You should also have beefed up battery power and a solar panel/wind charger to keep your batteries charged at all times between visits, in addition to the alternator on the engine for cruising.

· Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
Reaction score
You're seriously going to have 4 separate hull penetrations on your transom?...
To each their own, but 4 pumps with 4 separate through hulls is a bit much for me.
Actually this would be a 6th hole - there are already 3 bilge pump exhausts, an engine exhaust and a fuel tank vent, plus the backstay chainplate and 2 ladder stanchion plates.

The Pearson transom is solid fiberglass, quite sturdy and, typical of the IOR designs, raised off the water. (In fact, you yourself must have experienced how tough the Pearson fiberglass is when you attempted to drill/cut/saw it.) All my installed pipes have a raised vent loop, so no danger of a backflow syphon effect. I don't see any harm in putting another exhaust in the transom - it still looks good, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.