SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My stuffing box is loaded with corrosion. My mechanic is afraid he will be unable to remove it without cutting the boat near the aft hatch. I know this boat is a bear to work on..has anyone else accessed it this way?
Also..What else should I replace while he's in there..thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
Is the stuffing box mounted by being threaded onto the hull or attached with a rubber hose and hose clamps? The box should be loose around the shaft if in disrepair and will slide off the shaft without having to loosing the box from around the shaft. The issue should be only disconnecting the box assembly from the hull. Many of these older setups are only mounted with a rubber hose. The coupling of the shaft to the engine can be removed and the shaft slid out and away from the engine enough to get the box off once the box is disconnected from the hull. When it is out you can determine if it can be serviced or replaced.

Here is a SN thread about drip-less stuffing boxes: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91194-dripless-shaft-seal-versus-stuffing-box.html

GFO Packing | SG Group Div of MGP Systems Inc.
Servicing Your Stuffing Box - BoatTECH Guides by Don Casey | BoatUS
PSS Shaft Seal: The world?s leading dripless seal.

I replaced mine 12 years ago with the PSS, love it. The rubber on all stuffing boxes should be inspected every year and replaced every 6 years according to the PSS manufacture.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I own P30 #255.

I'm fat, and I still fit comfortably through the access panel in the quarterberth, to access my stuffing box and transmission.

I recommend buying a can of Kroil: Kroil

Unfortunately, you can't buy it in stores. It beats WD-40, PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench, hands-down. Spray down the stuffing box with it. If that doesn't work, try a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone.

Use two large wrenches, working against each other to bust the gland nut free.
DIY or find another mechanic before you let anyone cut anything up.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Pretty much all older stuffing boxes are bronze and the corrosion is probably all surface. Unless you've had a great deal of electrolysis, that bronze fitting should outlast the boat. A wire brush and some trany oil should be all it takes to get it to shine and work like new. And new packing. Don't forget to rotate the ends on the packing; you don't want the ends to all be in line.

Reactions: radiance91

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi
My stuffing box is loaded with corrosion. My mechanic is afraid he will be unable to remove it without cutting the boat near the aft hatch. I know this boat is a bear to work on..has anyone else accessed it this way?
Also..What else should I replace while he's in there..thanks
First time I've ever heard the P30 called hard to work on. Cut the boat? Seriously? Fire your "mechanic." Cleaning, re-packing, or replacing the stuffing box on a P30 is not difficult and is a good DIY project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts