SailNet Community banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a contract on a 1983 Pearson 303, and are expecting our survey to be done at the beginning of next week. The current owner has obviously taken care of the boat during his tenure.

The only potential issue I could find after a lot of looking was some signs of corrosion at the bottom of the mast (slight white powder on one side right at the foot) -- it didn't seem bad to me - of course that's why I am paying a marine surveyor next week.

I understand that a lot of keel stepped boats will get corrosion at the step and the fix is usually to pull the mast, cut off the corrosion, and re-step with a new step built up to account for the part cut off. From reading it looks like this can run in the range of 1-2k.

Question is, given we would be paying $10.5k (reduced from 12k already), if this is the only defect is this still a good deal ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We had a Catalina 30 about 10 years ago and have our Pearson 303 now. Of the two, I have to say I like the Pearson better.

Prior to looking at the P303, we looked at a LOT of C25's and C27's -- they all seemed really tired and small. Looking at all of those pushed us back toward a 30' boat.

The 303 seems like it is just roomier to me (I'm 6' tall) than our C30 was. I haven't hit my head yet on the 303.

I also like that we have almost 2' shallower draft than our C30 (we had a fin keel C30). Speaking of keels, I also like that it's not bolted on like it is with the Catalina's -- no chance for that Catalina "smile" surprise at haul out.

Sure Pearson is no longer in business, but I don't see that as a huge issue -- Yanmar engine, Bomar or Beckson ports, etc. on the P303.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.