SailNet Community banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm looking at making the jump into sailboat ownership. I'd pretty much narrowed my search to Catalina, 27-30 ft range. However, a 1985 Pearson 303 has come on the market in my area.

I know nothing about Pearson boats, and how they compare to Catalina. Naturally, with a 1985 boat, age is a concern. Any thoughts/opinions will be appreciated.

Randy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the info.

It does worry me a bit that Pearson is no longer in business. One nice thing about Catalina is the ease of parts availability and the support network.

For sure I'll get a survey if I decide to seriously consider buying this boat. But the whole survey process is also something I need to get educated on!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oh yes, big help, thanks for the info!

A sailing buddy of mine said pretty much the same as you did regarding parts, so that's good to know. Also, I'm 6 ft, my boys taller, so the roominess is a plus.

I've read about that "Catalina Smile", also good to know that that's not an issue here.

What about rigging, specifically chainplates, on this boat? Any concerns here?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for all the info, folks. I appreciate it!

I've also found a 1987 Pears on 28 in my local area that looks to be in pretty good shape. The current owner has pretty much kept on top of things. It has a composting head, though, and I know nothing about those.

While the 28 is smaller, for the type of sailing I do - bays and coastal - it should be good in that regard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.