SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
For my money, the Vanguard is one of the prettiest boats ever. The biggest reason I didn't seriously consider buying one is the attached rudder design. I just couldn't live with the daily terror of trying to back that thing up in my crowded marina. But if money becomes no object, I would seriously consider buying one and sending her to Tim Lackey to completely renovate, including one of those spade rudders.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The first Pearsons constructed with spade rudders were the Renegade 27 (a really nice but seemingly forgotten design)
Plus 1 here. My ideal boat looks like a Triton/Vanguard, but has a spade rudder. And since I can't afford an Alerion, M Series or Friendship, the Renegade has always struck me as a great option. In my price range for sure!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Jim, I'm looking at a 65 vanguard. The vessel looks great but it's been on the hard for 3-5 years. The rudder is made up of 3 planks and has separated. The owner says it's dried out and will firm up in the water. I think the gap is too big for shirking. Looking for videos or something for a fix
I just looked at Jim's profile, and he hasn't posted here since 2017. Hopefully, he's still lurking about, or someone else has some suggestions. Is the wood otherwise in good shape? How wide are the gaps?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts