SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two Pelican cases to keep small electronics dry. These have proven to be no better than zip-lock bags at keeping water out. And my Underwater Kinetics so-called "dry boxes" aren't even close to being waterproof.

Does anyone know of a source for a truly submersible storage case with a double o-ring seal similar to those used in underwater torches and camera housings?

The only double o-ring sealed, totally waterproof storage container I can find online is a clear polycarbonate jar that's about 8" x 4" in size - not quite large enough for my handheld gps. Lol.

Submersible Cases for HOBO data loggers

This thing is good to 400'

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Don't know if they live up to their claims, but try looking at Storm cases. bout the same price as pelican.

·
Registered
198 Posts
FYI........Pelican does not guarantee the smaller cases to be waterproof. Their website pretty clearly defines which ones are/are not as well as explains their definition of waterproof.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
They are pointless, then. One might as well double bag or vacuum-pack gear and documents and just put them in a fisherman's tackle box or one of those orange "crash boxes".

·
San Juan 26
395 Posts
I have a small box manufactured by UK (Underwater Kinetics). It is similar to a pelican box in both price and design. I have tested mine down to a depth of thirty feet with no leaks. The latches are much easier to open as well. I also have a couple of Otter boxes that I've had good luck with, these are cheaper but not as rugged in IMHO.

·
STARBOARD!!
1,662 Posts
The 1120 case says "1 meter submersion for 30 minutes" (IP67 standard). What is non waterproof about it?

What particular pelican case are you having problems with?

·
Registered
198 Posts
It seems that the smalller cases (i.e. the ones in various shapes/sizes with clear tops) are more for cell phones & PDA's at the beach, pool, etc. They're definitely sand proof and I've never had mine leak at all - even submerged. But again, they're not guaranteed. They certainly serve a purpose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You might try Aquapac, I have used one to store my cellphone in that has gotten wet many times with no leaks. When I ordered the case several years ago it shipped directly from the UK fairly quickly. I see they now have an office in the US. I believe almost all their products are soft cases. This comes in handy for my cellphone as I don't have to remove it from the case to use it. Go to the questions page to get info on their 100% waterproof claim.
Aquapac | 100% Waterproof | USA

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've used Pelican cases for a while now for storing video/photo/computer gear, they are pretty bomb-proof. Never had anything inside damaged (even had one case fall out of a moving car onto the road!). As far as being waterproof, I was watching the making of "Deadliest Catch," and the camera guys on the fishing boats packed their shot tapes into Pelican cases and threw them over the side -- into the Bearing Sea -- so that the following boats could come by and pick them up, send them back to LA for editing.

Sounds like you just need to get the right Pelican case (or Storm cases which I like too). Like the other poster said the small "micro" ones aren't waterproof (I've always used the bigger black cases). I've also seen big Nalgene bottles used to store small things.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm a firm believer in Pelican cases..
I've swam to a small sandy island with my camera gear,
Had one fall of the top of a 55 mph car and skip down the road,
and seen one with 3 camera bodies and 5 pro lenses and flashes, bounce out of the back of a pickup truck, bounce down the road a couple of times and land in a small creek.. NOTHING at all was damaged..

I love em.. anything other than pelican is a pelican imitator IMHO.., but I have had a small otterbox and it's ok for lighter duty stuff.. my primary pelican is 1620 and 1150... make sure to get one of the big "real pelican's "

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I've used both Pelican and Amphibico, the Pelican is listed waterproof, the Amphibico is listed as watertight, though I never had a problem with water with either and they both were in the water many times

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used Pelican cases for a while now for storing video/photo/computer gear, they are pretty bomb-proof. Never had anything inside damaged (even had one case fall out of a moving car onto the road!). As far as being waterproof, I was watching the making of "Deadliest Catch," and the camera guys on the fishing boats packed their shot tapes into Pelican cases and threw them over the side -- into the Bearing Sea -- so that the following boats could come by and pick them up, send them back to LA for editing.

Sounds like you just need to get the right Pelican case (or Storm cases which I like too). Like the other poster said the small "micro" ones aren't waterproof (I've always used the bigger black cases). I've also seen big Nalgene bottles used to store small things.
Pelican cases of all sizes are clearly described on the manufacturer's website as "water resistant" and not water proof. They employ a single o-ring around the lid and some Gortex around the pressure relief valve.

As far as throwing them overboard. I saw a promotional video at the Pelican website where they did the same thing, and that's why I bought them without first reading the "FAQS" section of their website. Doh.

I would say they are reasonably water resistant, and much better than nothing, but don't take them out in the rain.

I'm very happy with my Pelican dive torches. Unlike the cases they have a double o-ring seal and seem to be 100 percent waterproof. I have used them to 200' and not a drop of water has got in. Too bad they can't make a case like that.

·
STARBOARD!!
1,662 Posts
The banner ad at the top of the page clearly says "watertight". If properly designed an O-ring seal should be sufficient. The goretex membrane is on their small cases; the larger cases have a pressure release valve.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I've used both Pelican and Amphibico, the Pelican is listed waterproof, the Amphibico is listed as watertight, though I never had a problem with water with either and they both were in the water many times
Their FAQS section uses the words "water resistant." People mistakenly assume they are waterproof. They are not. Just a 'heads up.'

PELICAN LEGENDARY LIFETIME GUARANTEE OF EXCELLENCE

Pelican guarantees its products for a lifetime against breakage or defects in workmanship. Pelican cases are guaranteed to be watertight to a depth of 3 feet for 30 minutes (IP 67) unless otherwise stated if properly closed with undamaged o-ring in place. Pelican’s liability is limited to the case and not its contents. This guarantee does not cover the lamp or batteries (rechargeable or alkaline) for lights. Any liability, either expressed or implied, is limited to replacement of the product. This guarantee is void if the Pelican™ product has been abused beyond normal and sensible wear and tear. This guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack or damage caused by children under five.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The banner ad at the top of the page clearly says "watertight". If properly designed an O-ring seal should be sufficient. The goretex membrane is on their small cases; the larger cases have a pressure release valve.
I's not sufficient for a case that bills itself as submersible. On the other hand, common sense would dictate that a case that cannot tolerate a depth of more than 3 feet should not be transported to the boat in a rain squall, so I only blame myself. I still think it's an excellent case for the money. Nevertheless, I would like a similar case that is reliably waterPROOF if available.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah the "waterproof" label can mean different things sometimes, just went through this with my binoculars. I guess related to this topic though, sounds like the Pelican/Storm cases are as good as you can get. If you don't trust them I'd say use a dry bag (like what kayakers use) inside a Pelican/Storm case for the belt+suspenders approach.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Well, considering that most marine instruments are only waterproof to the same standard, maybe they shouldn't be used on boats???? :rolleyes:

Pelican cases are designed to protect gear from normal conditions of transport. Unless you're a merman, and live on the bottom of the ocean... submersing the case on a regular basis is not considered normal transport.

BTW, I've used Pelican cases for many years, and they're quite good at what they're designed to do. Water-tight is not the same thing as submersible.

BTW, where on Pelican's site or advertising materials do they claim the case is designed to be submersible?? From what I see on their site, they only claim the cases are WATER-RESISTANT.

I's not sufficient for a case that bills itself as submersible. On the other hand, common sense would dictate that a case that cannot tolerate a depth of more than 3 feet should not be transported to the boat in a rain squall, so I only blame myself. I still think it's an excellent case for the money. Nevertheless, I would like a similar case that is reliably waterPROOF if available.

·
560 Posts
empirical evidence

As a recovering whitewater paddler, I can tell you that I've POUNDED on these boxes and they have saved many a video and SLR camera. I've seen pelican boxes run some pretty burly rapids (on accident) and I never even worried about it's contents. (I just worried about tracking it down :eek: )

Hell, we used to shoot each other running waterfalls. One guy would get out above the drop and film his buddies. Then he'd pack the vid cam into the pelican box and THROW IT OFF THE DROP INTO THE POOL BELOW and wait for his buddy to fish it out and shoot him running the drop.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,670 Posts
I have used the same Pelican case for a variety of cell phones for years. Now my iPhone lives in it. I take it out in the deflatable boat with me every day while I work. Rain, saltwater splashes, my dripping on it, always been bone dry. I've dropped it, I've dropped stuff on on it, still tough as nails. Can't imagine needing more protection than it provides.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts