SailNet Community banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Lo, I think you're expectations exceeds design, cases aren't meant to be submerged, there meant to protect against the elements and will protect your gear if you drop the case OB. They are designed with nutral bouyency when sized correctly with your gear weight so they will float and they will float just above the seam line.

If you are having problems with normal water intrusion check the seal for damage of any kind, ( crushed, cracked, or hair line cuts ) if no damage is appearent try a thin coat of vasiline on the seal,if these dry out they won't seal tightly

It's also a good idea to save all the silicon moisture bag you can get your hands on and always throw a couple in your case

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don't use vaseline or other petroleum based products on o-ring seals. They should be lubed with a silicone based o-ring grease... not vaseline. Vaseline will often attack the material the o-ring is made of, and make any leaks worse, not better.

The dessicant bags are generally filled with Silica, not SILCON

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Don't use vaseline or other petroleum based products on o-ring seals.
I have since 97 and never had a problem with leaks, but you're correct silicone based o-ring grease is best and I'm sure recommended

Ya know what I meant.......geez louise........picky :D

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Consider Nalgene bottles for small items.

They are not just submersible - they can withstand significant internal pressure too. When the vacuum is too great, they will collapse some rather than leak. The wide mouth versions will take cell phones and small GPSs.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
They are not just submersible - they can withstand significant internal pressure too. When the vacuum is too great, they will collapse some rather than leak. The wide mouth versions will take cell phones and small GPSs.
The ones with a screw-on top are great for small items. I have a few in my tool box.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nikon recommends the use of Vaseline on the rubber O-rings of its submersible Nikonos photographic equipment. In fact, the grease supplied in the Nikonos O-ring kit direct from the factory is petroleum gel (Vaseline).

Most O-rings are made from Buna-N material or Nitrile-Butadiene (NBR) not rubber. These are safe with petroleum products. Nevertheless, silicone grease (e.g., Dow Corning Molykote 111) is far superior as it is less soluble in water and highly water repellent.

Don't use vaseline or other petroleum based products on o-ring seals. They should be lubed with a silicone based o-ring grease... not vaseline. Vaseline will often attack the material the o-ring is made of, and make any leaks worse, not better.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I haven't thrown my case off a canoe so my buddies could pick it up later and use the expensive stuff inside, but I did carry two cases to the boat in a driving rain storm and ended up regretting it. I found no damage to the seal on either. So yes, I guess my expectations exceeded design.

Lo, I think you're expectations exceeds design...

If you are having problems with normal water intrusion check the seal for damage of any kind...

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Well, considering that most marine instruments are only waterproof to the same standard, maybe they shouldn't be used on boats???? :rolleyes:
Those "waterproof" handhelds are no more waterproof than a Pelican case. This doesn't mean that a Pelican case or a waterproof handheld isn't better than nothing -- it is. That's why I use both. :rolleyes:

Pelican cases are designed to protect gear from normal conditions of transport. Unless you're a merman, and live on the bottom of the ocean... submersing the case on a regular basis is not considered normal transport. BTW, I've used Pelican cases for many years, and they're quite good at what they're designed to do. Water-tight is not the same thing as submersible.
My Pelican cases are guaranteed in writing to be submersible to a three foot depth for 30 minutes. That's pretty good, and I will continue to use them, but I would like something better if available.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
, but I did carry two cases to the boat in a driving rain storm and ended up regretting it. I found no damage to the seal on either. So yes, I guess my expectations exceeded design.
you sound like you know what you're talking about, so I can only add the obvious, you have a bad case(s)

I'm now using a Lowpro (water resistant) backpack and I've been in driving rain from parking lot to boat several time this past winter and not so much as a drop inside. ( I also bees wax ther zipper )

21 - 31 of 31 Posts