SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put a pennant on my jib to address a halyard wrap problem on my rolling furler.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of placing it at the head or the tack?

hope you are all well,
Quinn

·
19,489 Posts
I think it's the height of the swivel that's the key, so whether the pennant is top or bottom shouldn't matter wrt halyard wrap. So you're down to whether or not you want the visiblilty, as tommays suggests, or to keep the center of effort lower on the rig (which could reduce heeling a bit) by putting the pennant on the head.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Definitely at the head. My old boat had a #3 that needed a pennant. Why would anyone want to raise the center of effort by putting it at the tack? If you have an short luff most likely it is a smaller headsail which most likely will see higher winds. Let's see now- tack off deck about 18" due to roller furling drum, add another 1-1/12 feet for a pennant making sail about 3 feet off the deck. Visibility would be no problem but all you will see with that set-up is water as your boat heels over with the slightest puff.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts
I also concur to put the pennant on the head, however, if it is very long, be sure that the luff tape runs up the pennant also, so the pennant wraps with the sail. An experienced sailmaker will know to do this...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yes, raising the head by putting the pendant on the tack puts the sail higher and in cleaner air. This allows the sail to be more efficient. If the winds are such that the boat is hard to manage even with this shortened headsail, move the fairleads aft to flatten the lower portion and allow the head to “crack off”. This will ease the heeling moment. What purpose does putting the pendant at the head? Isn’t this the same as using a halyard only?

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts
...What purpose does putting the pendant at the head? Isn’t this the same as using a halyard only?
No...a halyard is above the furler swivel whereas the pennant is below the swivel. A pennant allows the swivel to always be raised to full hoist, or to whatever height proper operation of the furler requires, regardless of the luff length of the sail. Most jibs on a furler should already provide adequate visibility...putting the pennant on the tack creates some problems, putting it on the head leaves the jib as designed.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just went up the mast to replace a jammed halyard for this operation, and would prefer not to do it again to rig this thing. Soooo... if i were to rig it at the head.... im thinking....
1. raise jib without attaching it to the tack. get it to the point where halyard is at the block.
2. measure distance between tack and furler to find pennant lenght needed.
3. lower sail.
4. make pennant, rig to head and swivel, raise, rig to tack and then fly off into the wild blue yonder furling to my hearts content...
sound like a reasonable plan?

Conversely to rig to tack would seem the eaiser option. sail to swivel, raise w/o tack affixed then rig pennant to tack at desired heigth....

ive got 3 headsails, this one is the middle sized. maybe i should just put the big one on, hope for a perfect fit and drink some beer. lol. thanks for all your input

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I didn’t think of placing the pendant between the swivel and the head. Dumb question: By not having the head directly attached to the swivel, doesn’t one run the risk of pulling the luff tape out of the track in stronger breezes?

·
19,489 Posts
I think SF addressed that point in an earlier post:

I also concur to put the pennant on the head, however, if it is very long, be sure that the luff tape runs up the pennant also, so the pennant wraps with the sail. An experienced sailmaker will know to do this...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
huh. darn good question if you ask me.... my concern was reduction of halyard length exposed when raised to prevent the wrapping problem... if i rig halyard to pigtail to swivel, i was afraid the pigtail would just give me the same problem.... lest the shackles i was fiddling with maybe werent big enough to spin under the load?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks faster... obviously i am not a master sail maker... lol... but im a darned determined learner/do-it-your-self-er

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts
I didn’t think of placing the pendant between the swivel and the head. Dumb question: By not having the head directly attached to the swivel, doesn’t one run the risk of pulling the luff tape out of the track in stronger breezes?
Why would it be different than when using the same jib without the furler? The sailmaker insists on also taping the pennant, but I understood that to enusre that the pennant furls with the swivel and luff.

Anyway, this is how the sailmaker did my three non-full hoist jibs, and they have served perfectly over ten years.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly you need to size pennant so that top of swivel is no more than 10" from absolute top of foil. A wire pennant is recommended because it will not have any opportunity to get jammed in the foil area above the swivel. Also be aware that you need to position any spinnaker halyard behind your spreaders when not in use. Otherwise you can bet that your spinnaker halyard will get wrapped by the swivel at the most inopportune times.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly you need to size pennant so that top of swivel is no more than 10" from absolute top of foil.....
I think you'd need to check the manual for your particular furler, for this length plus consider whether your installation has a halyard retainer on the mast..."

·
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan
302 Posts
Check the jib lead for the sail, if you use the pendant on the tack, the lead will move to the stern of the boat. If you have enough jib track, then it just becomes personal choice if you desire visibility and easier tacking over the lifelines, or lower center of effort by placing the pendant on the head and moving the jib cars forward.......

·
Maine Member
181 Posts
Halyard angle???

Often, halyard wrap problems are the result of insufficient angle where the halyard exits the mast sheave. If the halyard is too parallel to the headstay, it will tend to wrap. Furlex recommends at least 5 to 10 degrees, and supplies a "halyard lead" which is bolted to the FWD side of the mast to re-direct the halyard if necessary. Here's a link to the Furlex (Selden) manual for their most common roller furlers:
http://www.seldenmast.com/search.cfm?downloadmanual=7726318&filename=595-104-E.pdf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts