SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For those young whippersnappers so enamored of their newfangled electronic toys they don't use one, this is what the compass card/compass rose *should* look like. :)

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,598 Posts
For those young whippersnappers so enamored of their newfangled electronic toys they don't use one, this is what the compass card/compass rose *should* look like. :)
You abbreviated!!! Shame on you!

I, myself, prefer the cushion. :p its comfortable to sit on while the Auto Pilot gets NMEA sentences from the computer.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You abbreviated!!! Shame on you!
:) Yes, I did. I looked for one similar to the image on the cushion. I like yours more, but I figured it'd confusicate the youngsters even more.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I always enjoy it when Jack Aubrey orders a course like "nor by noreast 1/4 east", but I would also think "what a waste of time and energy to memorize that system". It wasn't until I realized that most sailors couldn't read or write, nor really knew numbers that I figured out why the traditional compass rose was used. It really is a visual system. While it seems unnecessarily complicated to us, it may have been easier than learning to count to 360.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I always enjoy it when Jack Aubrey orders a course like "nor by noreast 1/4 east", but I would also think "what a waste of time and energy to memorize that system". It wasn't until I realized that most sailors couldn't read or write, nor really knew numbers that I figured out why the traditional compass rose was used. It really is a visual system. While it seems unnecessarily complicated to us, it may have been easier than learning to count to 360.
I wouldn't be surprised if it simply pre-dates the current 360 degree system. The concept of always placing north at the top of a map is relatively recent (~300 years or so, I think) for instance.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was not at all familiar with the terminology for any resolutions higher than "North Northeast," etc. This was really cool, and makes great sense. Thanks, Mark!

Barry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.