SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Learning the HARD way...
7,888 Posts
Reaction score
I have NOT been on the Morgan, but have experience with the Cherubini Hunter 37.

For the next few years I'll mostly be day sailing and weekends, including long weekends, but no extended cruising for now. I had been considering a little shorter boats with good performance
I would rule out the Hunter for this kind of use. The Hunter is built like a tank, and it handles like one. With the displacement of 17,800lbs empty, there is a LOT of momentum in this VERY heavy hull. Under power it accelerates at a glacial pace, and once moving, it does not like to stop. You will probably find docking unnecessarily "exciting" on this boat.

Don't get me wrong; the cutter rig is great for cruising, and, as overbored points out, it should point better with the cutter rig than with a genoa. The displacement would make riding out a storm in the North Atlantic, like sitting on a pond. However, from what you state you are looking for, this is not the boat for you.

I suggest that you look at your cruising plans honestly, and select a boat that was designed to meet those needs.

BTW - DeniseO30 has a nice O'day 30 for sale in MD for FAR less than your budget. I believe that you could start with a boat like that. If it lacks for anything in your or your crew's estimation, you could sell it at a loss, and still come out ahead.

Another option would be the relatively common CAL 33. If you insist on an aft cabin, the 1985-1989 Pearson 33-2 would be a great choice.

· Learning the HARD way...
7,888 Posts
Reaction score
Different layup schedule. VERY very heavy hull.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.