SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a question for you salty folks with experience in both of these boats. I've been on both of them tied up at the dock, read as many articles and reviews as I can find, and have looked at the statics (SA/Disp, PHRF, Disp/length), etc.

For the next few years I'll mostly be day sailing and weekends, including long weekends, but no extended cruising for now. I had been considering a little shorter boats with good performance (eg. Cal 31 with SA/Disp = 17.95).

For the Hunter, I've read that an advantage is flexible sail plan, especially in heavier winds, but that it doesn't point as well and doesn't do as well in light winds. I have been told the PHRF is around 162 for this, SA/Disp is listed on sailboatdata as 16.73 based on listed SA, but 15.29 based on calculated SA).

For the Morgan, I've been told PHRF is around 138, SA/Disp is 16.2. I've been told that it points well, does well in light wind, and performs well.

So, I can go by numbers, but I'd like to know if anyone has experience with both, and how they would compare on things like pointing, light wind, overall speed/performance, and weather helm.

And, another question, and this is probably my main question - with the cutter rig on the Hunter, given that I'll be doing more coastal day/weekend sailing off the North Carolina coast, I would consider removing the staysail stay (attaching it elsewhere temporarliy) and running a 135-145 genoa instead of the yankee. My hope would be that this would help improve the pointing and light wind performance, though maybe hull design might still be limiting. Thoughts?

The reason that I'm asking is that I like the cabin design of the Hunter a little more than the Morgan - better V-berth, better after cabin (rather than just quarter berth on the Morgan).

Ok, for anyone who has read this far - thanks! And, thanks in advance for any input on any of these ideas - performance of these two boats, and performance with sail modification on the Hunter.

Happy sailing!

· Registered
38 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Krisscross,

Thanks for your reply. You're right, the boat is a lot more than I'd need for the most part, and the one I'm looking out is completely decked out for extended cruising, which is also overkill for now. Number of crew will range from me single handing some of the time to up to about 6 at a time. Weekends will probably be about 4. In a few years I'll have more freedom for extended trips. My initial plan was to buy a smaller boat for the interim and then upgrade if needed. But I've found these two in the price range I've been looking for the 30-31', so, they're on the table also.

One reason I'm looking at the larger ones is for cabin head room. I'm 6'2". I was just on a Cal 31, and had to duck a little. I've been on 30' and 31' Pearson, Newport, Yamaha. The first two have better head room, but don't seem to perform quite as well from what I've read and heard, though I know they are good solid boats. I am pretty sure that I'd enjoy the performance aspect, and would be frustrated by a boat that got along OK, but that would be limited. Though I'm fairly new to sailing, I have found that I do enjoy the challenge of trimming and adjusting to maximize speed, performance, etc.

With the headroom, in addition to weekend sails, although I won't do a permanent live aboard now, I will potentially be spending some nights aboard, as the boat will be close to work, and otherwise I have an hour commute.

· Registered
38 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should probably put it as a separate post, but I'm really curious about possible impact/performance improvement of running a genoa on the Hunter with the staysail stay out of the way, instead of running it in cutter (dual headsail sloop for traditionalists) setup with a yankee and staysail.

· Registered
38 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was an excellent post on SN about tacking a cutter, and I learned a lot. From that, and others, I got the idea of having a removable inner stay. I was thinking of just running it this way most of the time for my day sails, depending on weather etc. If I had a removable staysail stay out of the way, no staysail, just running a genoa (would tack easily with the inner stay out of the way), would this improv pointing on the Hunter, or is pointing limited by other factors (main sail size, hull configuration, etc)? Thanks.

· Registered
38 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input. I have an offer on the Morgan 382, survey pending. Again, probably more boat that I needed right now, but plenty of "room" to grow into it, in all meanings, not just cabin interior specifically.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.