SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone advise how to stop a Perkins 4.108 in the event of a stop solenoid failure. As far as I can see there is no mention of how to do this in the owners manual. Thankyou

·
Dirt Free
2,764 Posts
Just push the solenoid in by hand.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
The Stop Solenoid activates a small push/pull rod on the back of the injection pump that when pulled out somewhat, cuts of the fuel. The injection pump on the 4-108 is on the port side of the engine (in our case) directly below the heat exchanger and can be a little awkward to reach but one needs only two fingers to move the rod an inch or so. If you are worried about the need, I suggest you try it once of twice so that you know how to do it when it might become necessary.

FWIW...

Reactions: jamesjle

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm having intermittent problems with mine. It's a Perkins 4-154 I tied a small line to the shutdown lever the solenoid pulls. When the electric doesn't work I can just open the engine room door where I tied the other end of the line and pull. This is/was a end of season "fix". My boat still has the pull cable fitting on the pedestal. I plan to go back to a cable system. Don't see a need to make a simple system complicated by making it electrical.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
big heavy rag over the intake works wonders.. or a plate, or anything that will stop airflow without damaging the engine or you (I don't recommend your hand, just incase you get a backfire)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did use a plate over the intake the first time. I wouldn't use my hand, bad idea not because of back fire but blood blister from the vacuum. I had heavy equipment buddys at Ferris State University tell me about a runaway diesel. It ate a 3/4 plywood board the used to try to stop it.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Ive had two go south on me, Im going with a manual pull back by the helm; Until I do that, I use the method Hylyte mentioned, it' pretty easy access and it don't much movement

·
3,506 Posts
You may want to take a look at the spring that holds the lever in place, a good spare to have...

The mushroom cap/vent on/over the intake makes it hard to get at, think a rag would have to do the job

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, the string/wire options sound best, foolproof and it beats having the hand sucked off.

·
Maine Member
185 Posts
James,

I'm about to install a shut-down solenoid on my 4-107 - only because it has to be there to auto-shutdown the engine for the new FireBoy fixed fire extinguishing system that I just installed.

That being said, I will be keeping the original manual pull-handle shut-down (it's a Morse cable system) for safety's sake. Both shut-downs can operate in parallel using slotted hole connections at the shut down lever.

As has been mentioned, the intake mushroom on your engine does not make it easy to kill the air. I would suggest that you add a Morse cable manual shut down - better safe than sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts