SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Perkins 4108 has plenty of revs in neutral but only about half max revs in gear. We've spent 5 days having it checked by "professionals" who have done the following - checked exhaust right through, air filter, changed fuel filters, checked water trap, tested all injectors, done compression tests, checked tappet settings and apart from suggesting a new fuel pump may be the answer the problem remains. If anyone can assist/advise we would be extremely gratefull otherwise our 2-year cruise may reduce to under 1!

Many thanks, Fi and Dog

·
Swansea, MA
98 Posts
Also check the propeller. Make sure it is not covered with growth.

Good luck

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for that, we really appreciate your assistance - unfortunately I should have mentioned we checked the prop for fouling and movement first!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
What kind of prop do you have on the boat? Is it the right size? Was this engine ever able to get up to max revs in gear before, or is this a new to you boat and you don't know. If it was previously able to do so, and is no longer able to do so, that's a very different case than if you don't know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fi
You never state what they found. ie compression good or bad valves adjusted propperly etc. I would check my fuel lines real good, it sounds like you might be sucking air into the fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fi

My engine (Perkins M92B - 86 hp) had exactly the same symptoms as you've described - Fine in neutral, only half max revs in gear. I have a Maxprop 3-blade variable pitch propellor. The solution for me in the end was to adjust the pitch on the propellor blades.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you again for replies. Prop is not new so we know as it's clean and free running and all worked well before that this is not the problem. All testing on injectors etc were okay and nothing untorward found, exhaust clear etc etc. Fuel lines checked and tried running engine from separate tank and problem still exists.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again - that's interesting.........we have a 3-blade variable pitch maxi-prop we've been running with for 6 years with no probs - was yours a problem when the prop was new or did it just develop over time?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
This happened on our boat a couple of months back, but I don't remember whether it was just in forward gear or not.

What had happened was the throttle connection to the fuel pump had come out of adjustment. I don't know the exact details but the Cap'n adjusted the cable at the pump and after that we were able to rev up the engine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi CarolinaB and thanks for your advice. I've confirmed with the engineer and he's checked the throttle connection so unfortunately we have to rule that out also. The only thing left is a new fuel pump - being connected as we speak - so we have our fingers crossed (as desparate folk do!).

Many thanks for trying to help, F

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have read the problem and all you have done to fix it but I have not read how the problem started.

Were you just crusing and all of a sudden you lost power?

Input, need input.;)

Hi CarolinaB and thanks for your advice. I've confirmed with the engineer and he's checked the throttle connection so unfortunately we have to rule that out also. The only thing left is a new fuel pump - being connected as we speak - so we have our fingers crossed (as desparate folk do!).

Many thanks for trying to help, F

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The engine was overhauled prior to our departure from the UK last June. We have had no problems since then until the last short passage we did. Thanks for your interest

·
Registered
928 Posts
Did the power just slowly decrease or go all of a suden?

The engine was overhauled prior to our departure from the UK last June. We have had no problems since then until the last short passage we did. Thanks for your interest

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The engine was on tickover and it wasn't til we asked for power we realised it wasn't there so we're not really sure how sudden it was.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is the oil level high indicating that the diphram in the fuel pump may be punctured?

A vaccumn gage on the intake side will check that sides valve and a pressure gage on the output side should be some where around 5 psi.

The engine was on tickover and it wasn't til we asked for power we realised it wasn't there so we're not really sure how sudden it was.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind assistance with this problem. After a week of investigations, replacements, adjustments etc it has been found that the throttle linkage had slipped (we asked this to be checked in the first instance!) and therefore, we hope, the problem is now resolved.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thanks for the the report.

It's allways good to find out what the problem was.

It is to bad such a simple fix cost so much money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts