SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought an old Crown 34 and, among a billion other active projects, found a loose wire in the back of a 2-pin Perko outlet that is in the cockpit near the shore power connection. for now, I just capped the wire. I could buy a new Perko outlet and clean up the connection, but my question is what is it good for? Is it possible for me to simply exchange this for a standard 12V cigarette lighter style outlet, which would seem infinitely more useful?

·
Super Moderator
4,602 Posts
Is the Perko outlet perhaps more reliable than a 12v cigarette lighter outlet? I went to use one of the cigarette-style plugs in the forward cabin of our boat last week (inside, dry, recently rewired) and found it...flukey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the Perko outlet perhaps more reliable than a 12v cigarette lighter outlet? I went to use one of the cigarette-style plugs in the forward cabin of our boat last week (inside, dry, recently rewired) and found it...flukey.
Perhaps. The flukeyness may be (probably) due to the connections or something inherently wrong with the particular outlet. I think that cigarette style outlets are pretty ubiquitous and reliable now days. I just can't envision a good purpose for the Perko outlet and I kind of want every hole in the boat to have a purpose.

·
Registered
Moody 376
423 Posts
the other benefit of the perko or ciggy style outlet is you get the full 12v available to you
depending on location i see the ciggy style being a harbor for standing water and corrosion.
plenty of usb plugged spotlights and other usb plugged electronics., probably morso than ciggy style.

yeah you could use the ciggy plug usb inserts as well.

·
Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
457 Posts
the other benefit of the perko or ciggy style outlet is you get the full 12v available to you
depending on location i see the ciggy style being a harbor for standing water and corrosion.
plenty of usb plugged spotlights and other usb plugged electronics., probably moreso than ciggy style.

yeah you could use the ciggy plug usb inserts as well.
Output device Product Camera accessory Gadget Font

1 - 8 of 8 Posts