SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I use a 3 gallon portable fuel tank for my 8hp outboard on my 26 foot fiberglass sloop. That is big enough for me to travel a good couple of miles but I have run out of gas motoring on a calm day. So I thought to my self why not install a 10 or so gallon permanent fuel tank so I can hold more than enough fuel and not have to worry about the portable being in the way. Looking for pros and cons for both portable and permanent.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Permanent tank is great. Cons? You need to go to the fuel dock, or still use a transport can. And the cost of a proper ventilated installation.

Or, you could just buy a good jerry can and only fill it for long trips, or refueling. Or a second small tank, same way.

Presuming you've got a 4-stroke and don't need to mix in oil.

·
Master Mariner
8,990 Posts
I'd stick with the portables, just get a second one as a back up. You will get awful tired of going to the fuel dock, or still run out of fuel, because you didn't portage in enough fuel, sometime. It would be a whole lot cheaper, too.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Even my 8HP 2 stroke only uses 1.5 gal/hr. You should get 2 hours, or drop down to half throttle and get double or more.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Even my 8HP 2 stroke only uses 1.5 gal/hr. You should get 2 hours, or drop down to half throttle and get double or more.
Excellent suggestion!

I would get another portable tank before I went to the trouble and expense of having a permanent tank installed.

If you have a GPS or a speed log of some sort. Crank 'er up to max speed and then start backing off the throttle. When you loose 1/2 to 1/4 knot, you will be cruising and using a lot less fuel than you do at wide open throttle. Some people think the little outboard has to be screaming to make any progress. This is not true unless your outboard is very closely matched to your boat, that is, it is incapable or just capable of driving the boat to hull speed.

With most sail boats, half a knot less will make little difference in the time it takes to get there but you will probably burn less than half the gas you would have other wise.

With displacement hull vessels, which is most sail boats, once you make hull speed, adding more power gives only a little tiny bit more speed. It mostly just makes the boat sink deeper in the water and causes the engine to burn more fuel.

If you have one of those motor/sail hermaphrodite things, the 40 HP+ motor will get it up on plane and it may use less fuel at well beyond hull speed. That is a special case though.

Another way to find the sweet spot is to slowly increase the throttle until the boat stops going faster, then back off a little and let it glide.

Have FUN!
O'

·
Working for next Boat
213 Posts
i second OpossumTx, on my 25 Venture i have a new 6gal tank and will add a second, or a Jerry can.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep a 6 gallon can to top off the 3 gallon so its not about getting stranded. The beach furthest away from my dock, that I would motor to when there is no wind, comes dangerously close to emptying my tank. If I were to have some weather sneak up on me conditions might require me to burn up more fuel and then I would be trying to transfer fuel while bouncing around. Not what I'm looking to do. A 6 gallon tank would definitely be more than enough fuel to have on board. I was just wondering if it would be safer or easier to have a permanent tank. In an average season I use about 15 gallons of fuel and I go out 35 or more times.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Go to WM, get a 12-gallon portable, one that has wheels, find a suitable, out of the way location in the boat and strap it in place - no problems running out of fuel and extended cruising range.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
IMO an extra jerry can is preferable. Much cheaper, and very easy to clean and inspect.
When motoring long distance - easy does it.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
My tank holds 55 gallons ....so I guess its permanent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts