SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Life is a wild ride!
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with cruising outside the U.S. with a pet bird on board? I've seen threads that deal with cats and dogs but I'm wondering if a bird would be harder to clear in while cruising.

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
Since one does not often take a bird for a walk on the beach and they are unlikely to slip ashore to cat about, I doubt that there are too many legal restrictions. I've never noticed any declaration about birds on customs forms (not saying they aren't there, just that I don't recall any).
However having a noisy bird aboard can make one quite unpopular in an anchorage or marina. It's not like they shut up once they begin their screeching in the cockpit.
I was running a treasure hunting operation in the T&C some years back and the owner left a rather large parrot aboard, which was allowed to run free on the bridge. It tore up the wood, chewed the wiring on much of the electronics and generally did a lot of damage. It made a filthy mess around it's cage, the clean up of which the crew obviously did not enjoy as part of their duties. There wasn't one of the 12 crew members on the vessel that wouldn't gladly have strangled that damn bird.
I would recommend against a bird on a cruising boat.

·
3,505 Posts
Some friends of ours travel with a large parrot on board. Custom cage on the back rail under the arch. They seem to have no trouble traveling around Asia. That bird is a noisy thing, calls out to us when we pass by in language not fit to print here.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I've never had a problem 'clearing' birds while cruising.

Yeah Baby!

Reactions: arf145

·
Registered
690 Posts
We had friends w/ an identical boat to ours that kept a parrot aboard. Their cabin was completely trashed. It was called their intruder alarm.
We both had our boats on the market at the same time and ours sold for almost double of theirs.
Jim

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Elsewhere recently, another forum, there was a long discussion on the paperwork birds need. I didn't follow it as I don't expect to take our Grey with us.

It sounded complicated and there seemed to be some organization that certified the birds were legal.

·
Life is a wild ride!
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had hoped that it would depend on the laws of each individual country and they would treat birds similarly to cats and dogs. I was curious though. For some let me note that any animal, including humans, can be loud and destructive with no socialization and training.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I have a pet conure, the only destruction she does is to me when she is peeved. I think she draws blood at least once a week. Other than that, she is well behaved and actually quiet compared to other conures

·
Life is a wild ride!
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bird Jack is a green cheeked conure. Just got him recently. I'm currently trying to train him from biting. My previous bird was a cockatiel. I was actually trying to find another when I found Jack. He's young but he will learn with time, consistency, and lots of patience on my part.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Our Grey snuck up on the cat last night and, completely unprovoked, gave her a good chomp on the tail! Sent her screaming.

All in all, and after careful consideration, I suggest a duck!

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I have to admit that I've never seen the attraction to having any pet aboard. There's plenty to do and see as it is. All pets seem to damage the boat and increase your workload.

By the way, folklore of having parrots aboard was just New World discoverers bringing back a freakish colorful animal that could speak and sold them for high dollars. They weren't pets.

·
Life is a wild ride!
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not married, and frankly, having a steady girlfriend would cut way too much into my boat budget. A bird, or any pet for that matter, can take a big chunk out of loneliness. They may want a treat now and then and may even bite occasionally, but hey, what woman don't? No offense ladies!

Hpeer, the though of your cats reaction has me definitely cracking up! Jack is just a little conure and he can draw blood. I can only imagine the biting power of and African Grey! I try to cut him a lot of slack right now though since I've only had him for 2 days and he is still getting use to his new environment, not to mention me.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I found the Grey, though bigger, had less bite than a Lory. The Grey just kinda chomps on you. The Lories were more like having your hand run through a sewing machine.

FIRST night we had the Lories one found a mouse glue trap and glued himself good. So I'm trying to hold his head outta the trap, I can just picture his eye getting glued, while screaming at my Wife to google how to release the bird (olive oil) and the bird is just freaking munching my fingers in its, and my, panic. About a quart of blood later he pops free (olive oil!) and then just sits there and calmly preens himself. Meanwhile I'm looking for a transfusion!:eek:

·
Life is a wild ride!
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found the Grey, though bigger, had less bite than a Lory. The Grey just kinda chomps on you. The Lories were more like having your hand run through a sewing machine.

FIRST night we had the Lories one found a mouse glue trap and glued himself good. So I'm trying to hold his head outta the trap, I can just picture his eye getting glued, while screaming at my Wife to google how to release the bird (olive oil) and the bird is just freaking munching my fingers in its, and my, panic. About a quart of blood later he pops free (olive oil!) and then just sits there and calmly preens himself. Meanwhile I'm looking for a transfusion!:eek:
Ha Ha! I can picture that! Funny how they seem to never notice the damage they can do! I'm going to remember the olive oil trick! I was talking to a friend earlier today on my Iphone in a Defender case. Jack perched himself on top of the phone and was chewing away. I thought, it's a tough case, what an it hurt. Twenty minutes later I hang up and Jack perches himself under my chin snuggling up to me. I look at the phone and he had almost chewed off the cover flap for the earbud. I think he was jealous that something else was snuggling up to my ear.

Some think that is destructive but I wonder how much different from human reaction it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.