SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Philadelphia (Essington) to Cape May

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Overdue 
#1 ·
I'm looking to start doing more sailing overnights and cruising now that my kids are a little older. We are located just outside Philadelphia. Has anybody done the trip down the Delaware River to Cape May? Has anybody used Cape May as a jumping off point for bigger ocean trips?

What's a reasonable time frame or places to stop along the way. Right now looking for any advice so I know what to start researching further.

Thanks!

#2 ·
There are a few doing this. Some very recent threads.
Delaware City Marina, Summit North in a pinch, Reedy Point anchorage, Salem maybe, Greenwich if killing time, Leipsic, DE if of moderate draft and you feel like adventuring.

Cape May is air draft restricted coming down the Delaware, 55’ I think. But it isa good East Coast inlet. Folks jump from there torun North to AC or Sandy Hook or beyond. It is a bit shallow for me. Lews is better for running South but I have never done it. Some make the transit around the DelMarVa peninsula. Again not my thing.
There is enough to do to keep you entertained for a while

#3 ·
We may be neighbors. I am at Fox Grove in Essington.

I have done the trip to Cape May several times in a 20ft boat, over three days a longer boat would be in two days, or a long day including night sailing.
Time your trip with the current at least as far as Ship John Shoal Light after that going with the current is still wise but not essential.
Day one a 5 hour sail Essington PA to Delaware City DE with the current
Day two a 5-6 hour sail with the current to Delaware City DE to Hancock Harbor NJ on the Cohansey. Time your arrival at with a flood or slack current in the Cohansey.
Day three a 7-8 hour sail Hancock Harbor NJ to the Cape May Canal or Bidwell Creek NJ. Time your departure from Hancock Harbor with an ebb or slack current in the Cohansey and arrival at the Cape May canal with an hour either side of slack in the canal.
This is 80% to 90% sailing.

Fortescue NJ is probably only a viable entrance 2 hours either side of high tide, unless the entrance has been dredged.
The Maurice River is viable anytime and does not have as swift a current as the Cohansey.

Reactions: PDenham4
#5 ·
I am not far from Essington, also considering buying a boat or part of a boat, to be kept in Cape May area or maybe upper Chesapeake (not sure about the crab pot lines). A few years ago my cuz purchased a 23' center console boat at a marina on the Chesapeake, powered it up the Elk to the C&D canal, then straight to Cape May, non-stop. While this was not sailing, you might still want to talk to him? PM me and I can pass your telephone number to him to call you to discuss, if interested. What kind of boat are you shopping for? Where would you keep it? I've bareboat rented and sailed on others' boats in the past. "The next best thing to owning a boat is having a friend or relative who owns a boat!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.