SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here have any knowlege or experince about sailing to the philippines from the panama canal and or sailing in the philippines

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I am now planning that same trip. What would you like to know? Maybe between the 2 of us we can coordinate a good plan. I am in touch with a couple that has already done the trip, and are now in Davao. What would be your final destination?......i2f

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Have you 2 spent in time in the Phils? If not you need to go, and spend some time if possible. The country is so diverse. From steaming hot humidity to nearly freezing......i2f

·
Registered
994 Posts
Have you 2 spent in time in the Phils? If not you need to go, and spend some time if possible. The country is so diverse. From steaming hot humidity to nearly freezing......i2f
My Asawa (wife) is from San Carlos City, ***** Occidental.. I was stationed in Subic pier 4 during the early 80's. Currently I am boatless. Looking at some good used boats to fix up. But I may choose to build.
Jim

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
They build cold molded cats in Cebu. There are many designs in cold molded if you are going to build yourself, or have a boat built. What type of boat, and size are you thinking?

My wife is from Davao. We could be leaving as early as this Christmas for the Phils. What's your plan moving there?......i2f

·
Registered
994 Posts
They build cold molded cats in Cebu. There are many designs in cold molded if you are going to build yourself, or have a boat built. What type of boat, and size are you thinking?

My wife is from Davao. We could be leaving as early as this Christmas for the Phils. What's your plan moving there?......i2f
I am flying over for Christmas. If I was to build a boat I would build it myself. I am considering building out of wood there in the Phils but not sure as of yet. I would prefer fiberglass build right here in the states. Outfitting is a little hard in the Phil. Thinking about Roger Long's Design.
Other Boat Designs

They just finished building a yacht yard on Samal Island. They have launched 2-3 boats already from it.
I would prefer to buy a good used boat. But I have limited funds right now.
Jim

·
Registered
994 Posts
What are they building on Samal? I redid my wedding vows there in 06. I am trying to keep up wuth the new marina, but it's progress is SLOW......i2f
First boat was launched Nov 16, 2008. It was Bruce Roberts designed 38.. From what I understand several more has been launched since then.

Not sure if any of them has been sail boats or not.
Jim
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I saw these. This is at the north end of the island next to the marina. Ellen from sailsamal has her boat there

Sail Samal: About

I am off to the boat for a cold one. I''ll be back online Monday. I'll PM you with my e-mail....i2f

·
Registered
994 Posts
I saw these. This is at the north end of the island next to the marina. Ellen from sailsamal has her boat there

Sail Samal: About

I am off to the boat for a cold one. I''ll be back online Monday. I'll PM you with my e-mail....i2f
I just placed a bid on a 1980 Spirit Sloop 28. Its one of those boats that people didnt pay their slip fee's and the marina repo's the boat. The auction ends Sept 6th. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Jim

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got back from a 2 month visit,I would love to have my boat there but am unsure about the philippines regulations about visiting boaters,also unsure about the trans pacific passage,from what I saw I can't figure out why theres not more american sailors there,its such a great place!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I believe the American Govt. has scared the hell out of Americans, and possibly other governments too. Just stay away from certain areas. We do the same thing in America too. We have our hot spots for murders, and being robbed.

Unless Ben Franklin bills start falling out of the sky immediatley. I will probably start for the Phils at Christmas. As far as getting there it's amatter of following the beaten path from the Marqueses to Palau, and up into Davao......i2f

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I quit work a month ago, so I am falling behind on my schedule. Feb. to late April is what I am looking at now. Actually April provides the best weather to leave N.E. Florida........i2f

1 - 14 of 14 Posts