SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate rogue waves... took an 8 footer over our side JUST before making our turn into Biscayne channel, and it took out my cellphone and our kid's Nintendo DS. It MAY have taken out my Canon 5D too - time will tell. I put a new blog entry up at our website - s/v Pelican - Following A Dream - if anyone is interested.

Chris

·
Registered
382 Posts
Its sounds like "Pelican" took good care of you on that rogue wave. Very chubby of her ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I really enjoyed the blog post today, it brought back some good memories. I remember sailing with my dad when I was a kid and how he would have to stock up on batteries to power my gameboy on passages to keep me occupied. I'm 21 now and really cherish those memories of sailing with my dad. I am sure your son will also one day.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Expensive wave... that's why I use a Olympus 1030SW on the boat most of the time... water doesn't bother it.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Chris,

Any idea where the wave came from? Was it a ship wake or an anomaly?

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SD - We have a 1030SW too, but the picture quality on the 5D is so superior to it that we try to use it as much as possible. With the polarized filter, I can actually capture the blues and greens of the water. Unfortunately, stuff like yesterday happens.

John - No clue where the wave came from. There were no boats in our area. We've had rogue waves on pretty much every passage. They seem to be the norm. We actually saw this one coming, but a moment too late. We were 15 degrees over on a port tack, and this wave came over our port side, over the top of our caprail. They aren't a big deal - just annoying when they are coming from a direction you're not expecting.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
SD - We have a 1030SW too, but the picture quality on the 5D is so superior to it that we try to use it as much as possible. With the polarized filter, I can actually capture the blues and greens of the water. Unfortunately, stuff like yesterday happens.
True, a pocket-sized p&s won't compare with a full DSLR... :)

John - No clue where the wave came from. There were no boats in our area. We've had rogue waves on pretty much every passage. They seem to be the norm. We actually saw this one coming, but a moment too late. We were 15 degrees over on a port tack, and this wave came over our port side, over the top of our caprail. They aren't a big deal - just annoying when they are coming from a direction you're not expecting.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
With a wave that big, you should have been holding the camera to take a picture!!!:laugher

1 - 9 of 9 Posts