SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a batch of photos (about 162 at this time). See the site put up by Club Cruceros at;
Club Cruceros de La Paz - Hurricane Odile Images

Gunter's boat Princess is not in the photos. Princess was found way down near Club Marlin, sunk in 12 ft. Of water.

Greg

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Greg--

The photos are almost too painful to view. No Words are adequate...

Reactions: zeehag

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
these pictures only portray some of the damages incurred by this monster storm that ate baja.
R I P to those deceased and holy sheets, mon for the rest. there are ways to help these folks.
electricity is unreliable, as is wifi signal.
fresh water has been unavailable, as baja has no true water network..is ground water in cisternas and reverse osmosis which is in need of reliable electrical services, yet to come.
drinking water comes from ro and from garafones of delivered water, neither of which at present being functional.
gasoline and diesel fuel are shipped in, as there are no contiguous roadways at present. rationing has become strict, one gallon per customer.
there is much to be done to restore the infrastructure.
much of the foodstuffs are also shipped or trucked into the areas affected, and this is limited at present to the baja ferries, thank goodness those are still running and supplying the areas with now emergently needed goods.
roadways have been impassable for some few days--hoping they are again usable in short order.
(this only takes lots of work and persistence. something these folks do have in abundance.)
sonrisanet.org has come back up-- geary lost his antenna and cameras in this mess, and his weather station we all rely on was destroyed for a short time.
eebmike, run by same man was also down for short time. he has regained ability to transmit weather to those of us relying on his signals.

i recognised a few of those damaged boats as belonging to cruisers who cruise west coast mexico annually. this coming season will be a hurt one for baja as well as all of west coast mexico as these folks support the economies of the locations they cruise, and will be missed.
club cruceros helps cruisers in many ways in la paz.

these are only some of the ways in which help can be achieved for these folks....
this is a storm that took 5 known lives, maybe more, as baja was completely engulfed by this monster storm...
please help in whatever way you are able to help.

YachtAid Global Providing Hurricane Odile Assistance - Megayacht News

La Paz Cruiser Hurricane Fund by Club Cruceros - GoFundMe

Los Cabos Hurricane Aid by Onagh Ash - GoFundMe

Solutions Mazatlan: Hurricane Odile Relief

·
Administrator
7,533 Posts
There but for the grace of....

Terrible situation.

Terrible death toll of cruisers, 4, inst it? And how many people on land?

Mark

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ouch. I was wondering how La Paz was.

I was stuck in Cabo last week during the hurricane. The storm parked right out the whole peninsula, everything is wrecked.

Sunday Night through Thursday until we got on a US chartered plane are definitely the most nightmare-ish memories of my life.

It felt like the end of the world. Everyone was acting like it, too.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
la paz suffered 3 dead cruisers and a lot of damages. not good.
geary , aka eebmike, sonrisanet.org, was down for a couple of days, is back now, and the webcams are, for the most part working, except the one for burro cove.
there are some missing korean folks i havent heard of being found as yet...but, then i dont hear everything.
the roads are torn up..some merely flooded, some unpassable-- dont know what the update is on them, yet.
Baja Road Report for Highway 1
santa rosalia lost the old marina en toto, an dsome boats that were slipped there.... the new marina was and is ok...
holly scott, aka charlies charts on fb has updates regularly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts