1,000 Posts
Here are my guesses...

TM is Tall Mast???
SD is Shoal Draft
WK is Wing Keel
BS is BowSprit??
KTH is KeTcH
CUT is CUTter-rigged

CWS is Dehler specific by the looks of it.

CB is CenterBoard
FR is Fractional Rig
MH is MastHead rig
YWL is YaWL
ODR is One Design Racer??

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
J34-

I did put ??? next to that one... I don't race, and figured it had to do with One Designs... :)

Any idea what CWS is??

·
19,489 Posts
CWS refers to Dehler's Central Winching System, where all lines are led to a single winch central to the cockpit surrounded by clutches.

An interesting idea, but not that efficient since any line would have to be completely released before the next could be loaded. I suppose for cruising it may be OK, but tacks would be slower.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Thanks for that Faster... never seen it, sounds like a RPITA.

·
19,489 Posts
Re: CWS
Thanks for that Faster... never seen it, sounds like a RPITA.
Here's a pic.. it may be more user friendly after all.. by the look of it here the genoa winches are not part of the CWS idea.. but all halyards etc are run to this location. - with a self tacking jib it could be a good singlehanded set up.... does take up a lot of room though.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Re: CWS

Here's a pic.. it may be more user friendly after all.. by the look of it here the genoa winches are not part of the CWS idea.. but all halyards etc are run to this location. - with a self tacking jib it could be a good singlehanded set up.... does take up a lot of room though.

How's your sweety supposed to cuddle up to you with that setup? No wonder he's single handing that boat.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I guess if you're single handing the boat, that makes some sense, but it sure ain’t pretty... and it chops the cockpit into tiny sections.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BENETEAU 51 21 75 48
BENETEAU 51 SD 74 75 75
BENETEAU 51 WK 66 66 66
BENETEAU 53f5 VTM 21 21 21

I copied the above out of the list.
What is the significance of these numbers.
And what is VTM Very Tall Mast ?
Is there any chance that that 21 number is real?

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Book??? There is a book? Where do I get one?
Register your boat with

PHRF of the Chesapeake, Inc.
P.O.Box 3169
Prince Frederick, MD 20678

They should send you a booklet. You can probably just order a book for a couple bucks as well. That being said, there is no CWS in my book, and from what I understand, no corrected time change b/c of it. This is a 2008 book. If you're part of a Yacht club I also have their contact info if you need it.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
BENETEAU 51 21 75 48
BENETEAU 51 SD 74 75 75
BENETEAU 51 WK 66 66 66

Oddly enough, yes,
VTM = very tall mast, when there are different versions. 21? wow, must be a fast boat. That's crazy. :eek:

·
19,489 Posts
BENETEAU 51 21 75 48

BENETEAU 51 SD 74 75 75
BENETEAU 51 WK 66 66 66

That model, the 53f5, is a Farr design, more of a racer and will be considerably faster than the others on your list, so if the numbers are the PHRF ratings, 21 could well be right for that model.

Not sure where the range of numbers on that first listing comes from....

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Faster,

Look here for the listing I am swag'ing he is looking at. Ie a hi/low/ave list from ussailing of phrf ratings for boats.

Marty

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like they don't even rate the telestar 28.

I couldn't find a rating anywhere.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm trying to get a feel for what these number mean in real life.
25 CATALINA 168 185 174<O:p</O:p
<O:p></O:p>
ODAY 25 CB <ST1:p231 246 237<O:p</O:p

The way I understand this is that their is about a minutes difference between these two boats.
So on a 40 mile cruse where the fast boat may be able to average 4 knots and make the trip in 10 hours the slow boat may take 10 hours and 40 minutes.
Is that right?
If so what is the old shoe number? I'm sort of kidding and sort of serious. People often talk about a fast boat and a slow boat. But lets face it other than the multi-hulls and 70' racing boats they are all slow.
So is it really just as simple as what you get used to, simple perception and attitude or is there some number or range of numbers that from experience once you get to it just becomes a different sport.

Maybe is is just comparison experience on the water. If you are in a fast boat you can pull ahead of most other sailing boats. When you are in a slow boat you just have to get used to other boats passing you.

·
19,489 Posts
To put some of this in perspective, these numbers are in "seconds per mile" - so, as you surmise, a boat rating 168 will owe a boat that rates 198 30 seconds for each mile that the course is long. So on a ten mile race the faster boat (168) has to finish 300 seconds or 5 minutes ahead to actually win if the race is scored time-on-distance.

But.. a 24 footer that rates 168 is a pretty quick boat... a 35 footer that rates the same is not. Theoretically these two boats could cover the same course in the same time, but relative to their size and waterline length the bigger boat is "slower".

So your "old shoe" number is going to vary a lot with boat length - though anything rating over 250 is not going to be quick by any definition.

Marty, thanks, I'll check out that link.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts