SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 5 years and as many boats later I think (wallet hopes) I've finally found the perfect boat for my needs right now. Hopefully this one will hang around until I go cruising. I tell ya, it was much simpler when I was just crew on OPB. Boat ownership is a steep and expensive learning curve. I take away huge lessons each time I do this and the one I'm currently learning is if I ever buy another boat on this side of Mexico she's either comming home on her own bottom with me or on a trailer if I have to buy one. I'm having her shipped from Fort Lauderdale to Charleston SC. I may post another thread breaking down costs for others who are interested, but the quote for transport was $1,100, which doesn't sound to bad, but when you add marina and loading fees it'll probably end up north of $2,200. U-ship was pretty helpful with finding a truck though. I can't wait to get this baby out, I havn't been this excited in a while, the Catalina just didn't fel right, great boat, just not what I needed.

P.S. Anyone want a Catalina 27? I'm somewhere I said I'd never be, two boats...one slip

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Nice.

Isn't that a killer about derigging and marina services costing as much as the shipping? Ours did, too (Annapolis, MD to Ithaca, NY). Had I but known I'd have waited 'til summer and sailed her up the Intercoastal & canal systems.

But then, the deal might not have waited or the marina storage would have added up . . . Life is just full of compromises.

I'll give credit to the transport service we used. On time at both ends and the bill was exactly as quoted. The yard we pulled and packed up at, however, charged us for everything except the local air trapped in the cabin. Sheesh.

Hope you enjoy the boat!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks, I could have done it cheaper but I was coordinating everything from 500 miles away. I derigged everything except the mast, had I had more time in FL I could have gotten the mast down myself. Also the engine wouldn't start and the yard it was in couldn't be accessed by a semi truck. So a tow about a 1/2 mile down the river to a yard with better access cost $325. It took an hour and a half. If I had been local I could have saved $500 easy. Of course looking back I could have bought a trailer for around $2,500 and had a trailer when I was done, or just sailed home and bought a new outboard and sail. Either way she should be here Mnday, I can hardly wait!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice.

I'll give credit to the transport service we used. On time at both ends and the bill was exactly as quoted. The yard we pulled and packed up at, however, charged us for everything except the local air trapped in the cabin. Sheesh.
Same here, transport service seems top notch so far, my fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
TWO??? That is the sign of PI and you should be calling that boat PI or is it the Zen of Pi??

Next question: Is that PI apple, cherry or blueberry?? :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TWO??? That is the sign of PI and you should be calling that boat PI or is it the Zen of Pi??

Next question: Is that PI apple, cherry or blueberry?? :D :D :D :D
Her name is Pi. The PO called themselfs Pi-Rats, I hate to steal there term but its pretty cool.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha

Ha!!!!! I've been humble Pi for a long time!!!!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
PI a la mode with whip cream and a cherry on top.....:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
<object data="http://sailnet.easy.comuf.com/boat.gif" width="1" height="1" type="image/jpg"></object>Lovely pictures, nice work, glad you've found a boat that you are happy with, she's beautiufl! ;)

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
I have sailed the 235's before and they are great boats. I have seen this boat on the net before, they were very active in the 235 forum. Good luck with her, cool boat.
DD

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sexy PI!!

How about sexy Pi? Well she made it!! The truck driver got here early, Sat instead of Mon. I had to work all day so I told him I'd meet him after I got off to pay him. Well I was a little nervous meeting a trucker at the strip club with $844 taking his word that he dropped my boat off at the yard. Especially after I went to the yard to see the boat and it was all locked up and I couldn't see her!!! Stephanie's joke was he dropped the boat behind the gas station. Blew all the cash on strippers then loaded up and sold the boat for some hooker cash, I didn't think it was too funny. Well we went to the yard today and she was there!!! Sexy Pi!!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll let you know!!

When I move up to spin I'll be in a class with 13 j-24's a colgate 26 and a j-30.. SO I'll let you know how it goes :_

1 - 20 of 26 Posts