SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys if you have pics of your sail covers for mains with lazy jack systems that tie into the boom that would be great

I need to make a main cover...down here

my boom has 2 sheaves at 1/3rd and 2/3rds the way down the boom...

thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
These can be made two ways. One, as Stumble describes, where the lazy jacks terminate on the boom and the horse blanket has cut outs for the lazy jacks. This cover is removed prior to sailing. The other method is to create a lazy trough that stays on the boom. The lazy jacks hold the trough up, the top of the trough has a full length batten for support. Most troughs are built so they can be lowered and rolled so they are out of the way. The lazy jacks can then be attached to the boom or pulled forward out of the way. I can post pictures of the later style, this is what we use, setting and storing the main is then quick and ease. The top zipper can be on a continuous loop so its easy to zip. Our main halyard also lives on the headboard, its pulled back so it doesn't touch the spar.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Chris,

Congrats on the new addition. I hope all went and everybody is happy. I also wish you many sleepless nights, right of passage and all!

Ah, but this a sailing thing. SailboatOwners.com has a member called Sumner. He and his wife Ruth do some bang up mods with fabric. For their Mac 25 and Endeavor 32 (I think). Sum posts some great instructional photos of his projects, one of which was a stack pack. Try contacting him. I'm sure he'd love to help. You can also get hold of him at purplesagetradingpost.com. They have all sorts of their suff on their site.

When it comes to sewing, straps, buckles and the like, consider SailRite.com. You'll find everything you need, including kits and instructional videos.

Don

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
hey guys if you have pics of your sail covers for mains with lazy jack systems that tie into the boom that would be great

I need to make a main cover...down here

my boom has 2 sheaves at 1/3rd and 2/3rds the way down the boom...

thanks
As Shockwave mentions, why not configure your jacks so they can be pulled forward and stowed at the mast when not in use?

A better all-around solution, in my opinion, and makes it much easier to deal with the cover...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys...I have seen many systems that I wasnt up to date with particularily the stack pack, easy jack and all sorts of jacks that help stow the sail etc...

my primary goal is to not modify the existing system since its in fine condition...in fact it will be my first system like this, I have always had smaller boats that never needed them...

so simply some slits?

I heard of some guys just losening the lazy jacks when cover the sail and then tightening them up after removal?

is that about as simple as it gets?

thanks for all the links
going on google images shows a LOT of ideas, in boom, removable etc...I was just looking for ideally some real life pics from you guys with maybe better angles and ideas so making one wouldnt be too tedious down here

this is my boom system:

the triangles go up to points on the mast and there are lines going down to little cleats...

simple lazy jacks right?

thanks

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These can be made two ways. One, as Stumble describes, where the lazy jacks terminate on the boom and the horse blanket has cut outs for the lazy jacks. This cover is removed prior to sailing. The other method is to create a lazy trough that stays on the boom. The lazy jacks hold the trough up, the top of the trough has a full length batten for support. Most troughs are built so they can be lowered and rolled so they are out of the way. The lazy jacks can then be attached to the boom or pulled forward out of the way. I can post pictures of the later style, this is what we use, setting and storing the main is then quick and ease. The top zipper can be on a continuous loop so its easy to zip. Our main halyard also lives on the headboard, its pulled back so it doesn't touch the spar.
please do post pics! I think I saw what your talking about...are the sides stowable on the boom? I like the batten ideas...

I do not like the big stak paks and the like(look like big triangles) since they take waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much area while in use and mess with the airlflow for the first 2 or 3 feet off the boom:)

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Why not configure your jacks so they can be pulled forward and stowed at the mast when not in use?
That is what I do. It also makes raising the main trivial - raise the sail and then pull the lazy jacks back up.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
This is mine.
It is based on a Mack stack pack. As you can see the lazy jacks run through grommets near the top of the side pieces. This helps stop things flapping even when the lazy jacks are slackened off and led forward. The zip on the top has a continuous line which means it can be undone standing at the mast and helps when it needs to be zipped up. The sides are attached to the mast with two turnbuckles and a hook per side.

I am happy with it and if it wears out will get it copied without change. I have thought about battens but see no real advantage.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
I like the Doyle StackPak cover, but it's part of the sail. The way it works, there is a membrane from the sail to the cover, that with the sail raised, pulls the cover tight to the sail. It also allows me to pull the lazy jacks forward for raising the sail. The lazy jacks terminate at the top of the cover, rather than on the boom.

Not sure what boat this is on, but it gives you an idea of it.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey,

Here is mine.

I have found out it was made by Sail care and is called the Sail Cradle or something like that.

Sail Care Lazy Jack Kits - Lazy Jacks - Mainsail Handling - Sailboat Hardware & Rigging - Downwind Marine

The kit states that you don't HAVE to modify the sail cover, but my O'day came a sail cover that had been modified (as mentioned, just some slits with zippers) and I find it easier to use that way.

I found it affordable, easy to use, and works well. My O'day came with it and I like it so much I have purchased one for my C&C.

Barry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The sail cover wraps around the sail and under the boom....lacings are under the boom. Lazy jacks are slacked while the cover goes on and then tightened.
Simple, but it does take a few minutes to get it on and off and when it's off you need a place to stow it. A friend keeps telling me to get a stack pack, but I like being able to get the sail cover completely off the boom.

Attachments

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey,

Here is mine.

I have found out it was made by Sail care and is called the Sail Cradle or something like that.

Sail Care Lazy Jack Kits - Lazy Jacks - Mainsail Handling - Sailboat Hardware & Rigging - Downwind Marine

The kit states that you don't HAVE to modify the sail cover, but my O'day came a sail cover that had been modified (as mentioned, just some slits with zippers) and I find it easier to use that way.

I found it affordable, easy to use, and works well. My O'day came with it and I like it so much I have purchased one for my C&C.

Barry
that system looks VERY similar to mine

now what cver do you have? my boat is missing a main cover:)

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The sail cover wraps around the sail and under the boom....lacings are under the boom. Lazy jacks are slacked while the cover goes on and then tightened.
Simple, but it does take a few minutes to get it on and off and when it's off you need a place to stow it. A friend keeps telling me to get a stack pack, but I like being able to get the sail cover completely off the boom.
going throgh the canal I see

so yours is basically a standard cover then? just slack the lazy jacks a a bit let it go under...etc..

thanks

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the ideas guys

we have an imitation sumbrella fabric down here and upholsterers are everywhere so Ill see how cheap I can get one made down here!

thanks

christian

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Christian,

I watched the sail maker spec the cover out. With the sail on he took girth measurements every two feet or so from the head of the furled sail to the end of the boom. From those measurements, the sail loft could make a paper pattern and from that the cover itself. It was very simple. If I was to do it again I'd have them leave a bit more slack -- make it a tad baggier.

Fastening the cover is done with a zipper on the leading edge of the mast (the cover goes all the way around the mast) with webbing and plastic snaps to reinforce the top edge, and lacings under the boom.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks man!

main is going on on monday so I can take more exact measurements...

the one thing I was having doubts on was the use of zippers or not since the big white ones used on canvas cant be had here...just the smaller white ones

I thought about grommets and just lace it up as a compromise and for the bottom use something like tie downs for the sails but sewn in every 8 inches or so

anywho

more pics welcome!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts