SailNet Community banner

1661 - 1680 of 1718 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,198 Posts
I dated a girl from Istanbul, lawyer. Her family kept a boat there. I was never on it, but she showed me lots of pics.

This one has a bridge in it, but I don't think it will be the bridge that gives it away.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Long before the bridge was built I was there ,for six weeks, broke, sold my blood $18 .a sitting.Valuable stuff.While I was doing this a British kid was drained dry, Have to be careful out there.

·
Super Moderator
4,198 Posts
Okay clue time. One of the worst shipping disasters in history took place in this harbour

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Was working next door to that bridge (institute of oceanogrphy) as a construction crane wiped out a manned scaffolding .90' down.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
Okay clue time. One of the worst shipping disasters in history took place in this harbour
alright back to civilization and looked at the current ID. It seems to have been solved but if not will tenure Halifax harbor as my guess as a 1917 ship fire and resultant explosion of munitions resulted in the largest man made explosion until the atom bomb. Plus it looks like the "new Bridge" in the background, which is actually not so new since it opened in 1970ish and the other suspension bridge which can be seen opened in 1955.

Yup, outside of lighthouses I do like my bridges!

·
Super Moderator
4,198 Posts
Interlude has it. Halifax Harbour.

Len Knew it, but didn't identify it.

Yes, the shipping disaster was the Halifax explosion. Where a munitions ship exploded after a collision. Some 2000 people on shore died in the explosion and another 9000 were injured, many eye injuries as people had gathered to watch the burning ship.

The clue that, I thought would easily give it away, but maybe wasn't clear enough (I took the picture with an old flip phone, before cell phones had decent cameras)was the large naval base on the Halifax side, which is head quarters to the Royal Canadian Navy's Maritime Forces Atlantic.

The Oceangrapihic Institute we were referring to is on the Dartmouth side, several Canadian Coast Guard scientific research ships sail out of there (probably DFO white ships when Len was there).

There is also a Container Port on the Dartmouth side, on oil refinery on the Dartmouth side and several yacht clubs on both sides as well as the historic port of Halifax on the Halifax side loaded up with water front bars and restaurants, some quite old.

I kind of expected the Port of Hdlifax to be almost immediately recognized.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It is possible that the thread is beginning to run its course. I similarly thought Hell Gate Bridge would be spotted like a shot After all the threads about transiting they East River in NYC....but perhaps Corona Fatigue has ground us all down.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Keep ‘em coming. Seems more than one participant simply can’t solve for lack of access to a replacement pic. One can add clues for the next member to solve. Sometimes, thinking of a clue that identifies you know the answer (or think you do), without actually specifying the location, requires more creativity. Sort of two games in one.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
Interlude has it. Halifax Harbour.

Len Knew it, but didn't identify it.

Yes, the shipping disaster was the Halifax explosion. Where a munitions ship exploded after a collision. Some 2000 people on shore died in the explosion and another 9000 were injured, many eye injuries as people had gathered to watch the burning ship.

The clue that, I thought would easily give it away, but maybe wasn't clear enough (I took the picture with an old flip phone, before cell phones had decent cameras)was the large naval base on the Halifax side, which is head quarters to the Royal Canadian Navy's Maritime Forces Atlantic.

The Oceangrapihic Institute we were referring to is on the Dartmouth side, several Canadian Coast Guard scientific research ships sail out of there (probably DFO white ships when Len was there).

There is also a Container Port on the Dartmouth side, on oil refinery on the Dartmouth side and several yacht clubs on both sides as well as the historic port of Halifax on the Halifax side loaded up with water front bars and restaurants, some quite old.

I have been in internet never never land for quite awhile so my lack of responses was not lack of interest but rather zero awareness! If Len wants the conch it is his to claim but if not will tenure another iD. I find it distracting to the fear mongering typical media. Guarantee the explosion of 1917 brought much in the way of coverage of the deadly statistics but little about the long term effects of that blast to Halifax as soon they would have more bad news to cover for the world would soon be concerned with another pandemic. We simply refuse to watch TV. We all need to be careful to not bring ill will to this forum, which has occurred. The ID thread has never resulted in controversy, thank you Zanshin!

Meanwhile: Name of bridge, sorry for a little fuzzy picture, but hey, it's not a lighthouse!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Thanks for the conch offer. Interlude.Ive got boxes of really(to me) interesting shots from before the digital world. Kinda limits my participation.Only digital I can control now is my middle upraised finger which ,admittedly , I tend to overuse. ..Arch, you are right, I was there before the bridge was built. boats were white (Dept of mines and natural resources) On the Hudson, mapping mid Atlantic ridge to prove plate tectonics ('68) Seems like a different world.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
Thanks for the conch offer. Interlude.Ive got boxes of really(to me) interesting shots from before the digital world. Kinda limits my participation.Only digital I can control now is my middle upraised finger which ,admittedly , I tend to overuse. ..Arch, you are right, I was there before the bridge was built. boats were white (Dept of mines and natural resources) On the Hudson, mapping mid Atlantic ridge to prove plate tectonics ('68) Seems like a different world.
Know the feeling about the photos...got albums filled from when we first sailed for a ten year period and then gave it up for 25+ years till four years ago. We did travel much in our land yacht for many of the intervening years.

Time for a hint cuz the picture has few clues other than it is a suspension bridge. It's design featured an orthotropic deck and was the first in North America to use such. The primary advantage is a massive savings in total weight for the structure. The Golden Gate bridge was refitted with one in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthotropic_deck

In case there is interest.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthotropic_deck

Well, it does say this in the wiki article: "...an orthotropic deck, which was first utilized in Vancouver's Lions Gate Bridge..."
"The bridge measures 1,200 m (3,900 ft), with the total of all suspended spans being 739.9 m (2,427 ft) in length, carrying four traffic lanes with posted speed limits of 70 km/h (43 mph). It was designed with a maximum road gradient of 4 per cent. It is notable as having been the first bridge built in North America using an orthotropic steel deck, which yielded a completed structure having half the overall mass of the nearby Macdonald Bridge. The bridge's engineering also pioneered the use of wind tunnel testing, which considered the impact of winds on the structure both during construction and when complete."

So....seems there might be a little confusion as the wording in that article is less than clear. The Lions Gate bridge was built in the late thirties and was the first to be retrofitted with an orthotropic deck in 1975. The patent for such decks wasn't issued until 1948 so that is the earliest any were built using such. Regardless the picture is of the description above. We never left the scene of the previous ID.

Otta be easy now!

1661 - 1680 of 1718 Posts