SailNet Community banner

1681 - 1700 of 1718 Posts

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
The clues above make it an easy goggle exercise. Otherwise, I had no idea. The Canadians financed this bridge in foreign currency, attempting to save money. Then the value of the Canadian dollar dropped and they lost the advantage. At one point, the value of the debt rose to 3x the cost of this bridge and its sister bridge combined. Oops.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
The clues above make it an easy goggle exercise. Otherwise, I had no idea. The Canadians financed this bridge in foreign currency, attempting to save money. Then the value of the Canadian dollar dropped and they lost the advantage. At one point, the value of the debt rose to 3x the cost of this bridge and its sister bridge combined. Oops.
...and throw in the cost for "the big lift" on the MacDonald bridge which means it now has an orthotropic deck was well as the still never named MacKay bridge that was the ID. Thought it would be fun to keep this ID as one of the same bridges seen in the last ID for the harbor of Halifax. If ya wanna hide something from someone put it where they have already looked!

Am handing the conch to you!

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Damn, I tried not to actually guess, but if you insist, I’m digging deep on my phone.

This pic was taken from our overnight mooring. Name of anchorage required.
6438B7A1-B910-4FD9-9F9D-C1101683DB09.jpeg

Tried to fix the rotated pic and ended up with two. No idea why. Not sure I haven’t already posted this one in a previous jam, with only phone pics available.

Attachments

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
Damn, I tried not to actually guess, but if you insist, I’m digging deep on my phone.

This pic was taken from our overnight mooring. Name of anchorage required.
View attachment 128636

Tried to fix the rotated pic and ended up with two. No idea why. Not sure I haven’t already posted this one in a previous jam, with only phone pics available.
Battleship Cove MA?

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
Whew. Got rid of that conch fast. :)
You'd think there weren't a lot of places with both a battleship and a submarine and yet I still had to guess...

I am running out images that aren't a dead giveaway or impossible to guess.

If you want to grab a cool pint here you'd better have a boat.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,198 Posts
Haven't been there in 20 years and just slept on the beach. There was a pub we went to to watch survivor on Thursday nights though. View seemed familiar :)

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
You'd think there weren't a lot of places with both a battleship and a submarine and yet I still had to guess...

I am running out images that aren't a dead giveaway or impossible to guess.

If you want to grab a cool pint here you'd better have a boat.
I really gotta stop guessing for many of the same reasons but....Dinghy Dock Pub, Nanaimo, British Columbia. Even if not correct, a place worth boating to...and ya gotta have a boat to get there!

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
There is a small ferry that serves Protection Island where the Dinghy Dock Pub is located, I think it's $7 for a 2 way ride.

Guess you do not need to have a boat, just be on one! Does this mean i gotta dig up something?

Heard rumors the pub has sold...hope the vibe remains. The area around Vancouver and the surrounding islands remain some of our favorite places in North America. Meanwhile gotta give up the conch for a bit so here is a give back for ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
Guess you do not need to have a boat, just be on one! Does this mean i gotta dig up something?

Heard rumors the pub has sold...hope the vibe remains. The area around Vancouver and the surrounding islands remain some of our favorite places in North America. Meanwhile gotta give up the conch for a bit so here is a give back for ya.
Wow, a guy steps away for a nap and... :grin

The pubs been a delight every time I have visited. The front docks got ripped off in a storm so its hard to dock your boat there now but still plenty of dinghy space.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
That's an old pic you posted. I came across that white building in an entirely different city 2 years ago and was mighty confused for a moment. But I'll let someone else take a swing at it.
Think I took that photo around 2005ish. Figured it is such an iconic structure it would be an easy ID, especially for those who live in the area...hint, hint, paulinnanaimo!

see what naps do!

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
294 Posts
Is it Buckingham Palace?
Nope, it is your neck of the woods and since the rules say must be visited by boat Buckingham palace ya can't sail to, well you can get as far as Westminster Bridge on the Thames in a power boat. This photo was taken from a boat. Clearly very parliamentary in stature and VICTORIAn in architecture...wink, wink. :)

Name of city and building nails it!

1681 - 1700 of 1718 Posts