SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last iteration of this thread is far enough in the past that I think it is worth firing up a new cycle

The rules are relatively simple:
  • The current thread "owner" posts a picture that they have taken (preferred), or one that they haven't taken but which has no copyright issues (e.g. public domain)
  • The picture must be in some way connected to sailing or water (that landscape snap of the Great Wall of China won't cut it)
  • Sailnetters guess the location of the picture
  • The first one to guess the location correctly enough for the "owner" to recognize then gets to post their image and become "owner" of the thread. Don't guess an image location if you don't intend to post the next picture. Don't post a picture unless you have been recognized or the 24h timer mentioned below has expired.
  • Please don't use Google image search or other internet tools for the first 24 hours. That makes it more challenging and fun.
  • The "owner" should try to check responses often. If an image has (most likely) been guessed correctly but not confirmed then 24 hours after the guess it will be assumed to be correct and the game can continue with the presumed correct guesser getting to post the next picture.

Most important: It's a game and it's on the internet. Like French traffic regulations - the rules tend to be more like suggestions than actual laws :rolleyes:. The primary objective is to have fun and see some parts of world that one might not otherwise see.

Here's my submission - where is this picture from?

Water Sky Cloud Azure Natural landscape

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@SanderO - I'm actually in Rodney bay right now, sitting at the dock and enjoying the night breeze while the island is on lockdown until Tuesday! But the picture (6 years old) is of a location elsewhere. I took this looking down to the anchorage in one country and what you see on the horizon is another country.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Markwesti - I see, you prefer to be an intentionally disruptive poster rather than a normal participant. I can't believe that we've had 3 of these picture guessing threads and nobody in any of them, even once, tried to break the thread progress in the way you did. Congratulations.

Back to the current picture - SanderO guessed the correct Sea, just not close to the actual location.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Sounds like the Caribbean to have different countries so close, but don't see anything like that on St. Lucia.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is indeed a location in the Caribbean Sea. From here in St. Lucia I can see the next country, Martinique, but the picture is not from here, it was taken looking pretty much due north from a location north of here :)

·
Administrator
8,096 Posts
Yes, this game is more fun if we follow the rules.

😊

·
Registered
Hobie Cat Getaway, previously HR34
20 Posts
Based on the hint of looking north, my guess is Anse Marcel in St. Martin looking north to Anguilla. Never been in the bay, but did contemplate it several times while anchored in Grand Case.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff_M has guessed it correctly, Anse Marcel on St. Martin. I've anchored outside a couple of times but despite the idyllic location I always found it quite rolly and Grand Case is just around the corner to the west. The island to the north is Anguilla.

·
Administrator
8,096 Posts
@Jeff_M You won, so its your go. Please supply a photo from anywhere nautical. it doesn't need to be too easy as our members can be a bit smart.
:)

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Coastal and oceanic landforms

As this thread was the one that prompted me to finally join Sailnet and contribute rather than just reading, I'm not sure if this picture will post.

If it does, this sandbar village is quite a distance north of the previous photo.

·
Administrator
8,096 Posts
Anse Marcel after Hurricane Irma
Water Water resources Boat Vehicle Watercraft
Water Water resources Boat Natural landscape Sky

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's little or no tidal range here and I see the Canadian flag, the Quebecois flag and a French flag. Since there's a lot of water to be seen out on the horizon I don't think it is on the St. Lawrence and I think that further towards Newfoundland the tides must be bigger (I visualize tides like in the Bay of Fundy) so all I can think of with that much water and in Quebec is much further north - St. James Bay?

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
reminds me of BI... but I think not.... I've never been here. Where is there a small tide range?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Many good observations Zanshin and you correctly identified the province, but it is not as far north as you were thinking. I had to look up the local tide table to refresh my memory, but yes they are modest compared to some of the ports in neighbouring provinces that one might visit while cruising the area.

·
Administrator
8,096 Posts
Does Hudson Bay have tides? Quebec goes to the Hudson, doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I spent my early years in Montreal, so the Quebecois flag was easy to identify. But I've never visited anywhere in the Gulf of St. Lawrence or on the southern shore before getting to New Brunswick so I'll have to wait to see if your image gets solved soon or I get to play around with Google Maps :) But Quebec has several hundred miles of shoreline down there...

1 - 20 of 254 Posts