SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Hey it's an easy town to get drunk in! From a clearer day on the beach looking toward the park/island. Cool tree on the building. Gotta love the vibe there.

Sky Building Water Skyscraper Daytime

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
No, this wasn't taken in Puerto Rico. They do speak English here, though - but not Spanish.
Ok, not a view I have personally seen so a random guess it's in Bermuda. Looks like maybe a little of the Gibb's Hill light sticking up in the distance. Out of ideas otherwise! Beautiful pic!

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Well Arcb really ID'd this but if not adopted will come up with a pic. What say say you Archb!?

Hope the explosion left no injuries.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
So...here we are. Prob will be tomorrow before I can respond. I was really trying to stay away from lighthouses. Have visited many!

Cloud Water Sky Mountain Water resources

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Could it be North Vancouver?
Not Vancouver, in fact a totally different country. Picture was taken at 2:30 AM, on a stroll checking out the cruise ship shown. We were still struggling with mostly no night even though we had been working our way up the coast for almost three weeks at that point. You arrive by seaplane or boat (in our case) as no roads in or out.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Could this be Alesund in Norway?
got the latitude mostly correct but Alesund has roads in and out and twice the population of the picture posted. The sun sets west over the water in both locations and the mountains create fjords in both as well. We could be 20 meters from shore and have over 160 fathoms under our keel.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
another view from an island across the "seaplane airport"! This was close to sunset @ 2:30 PM six months after the first picture which was just after sunset @ 2:30 AM!

Sky Mountain Ecoregion Cloud Nature

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Looks like Juneau, AK to me. My brother keeps his J/30 there and wants us to do the 'Round Admiralty Island Race with him over the summer solstice each year. We put in there on a cruise ship and visited.
Juneau has a connection to Quebec, one of the preceding ID's, as it was named after a prospector from Quebec, Joe Juneau. It is unique as the only state capitol that is not connected to the rest of the state or frankly the rest of the continent by road. It is the second largest city in the US with a land area larger than Delaware, or least that's what someone told us!. The airport is mostly water, and bald eagles by the dozens sit in trees like crows elsewhere. You may need to hone your mooring to shore skills as some places are just too deep for most ground tackle lines. The climate ranges from huge glaciers to temperate rain forest. Water temps are generally mild with incredible snorkeling during the long summer days. Cost of living...well that is not very temperate!

You otta take your brother up on the Admiralty Island race! The almost three months we spent up that direction allowed us to fall in love with the area. I've been told that at the end of the first leg there is a dock and warm springs for soaking. Liveaboards recently dodged the bullet on a liveaboard surcharge. The marinas are hurting secondary to Covid restrictions with little traffic from the south, cruise lines in shutdown mode and generally revenue is down there. The cost of housing is not.

I didn't start this thread nor made the rules but it sure would mean a lot once something is ID'd that the poster tell us about it with a little personal touch that we can't get from Wikipedia. You're up and I'm heading to digital never never land for a few days.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
@Interlude - part of the fun is the post when you pass the virtual baton to the next person; it lets you add context to your picture(s) and story, as you just did!!! I'm glad someone got it, as I was searching Finland and Norway for a likely candidate!
Agreed! Actually Finland and Norway have more in common with the Alaskan panhandle than most anywhere else! Hope to sail into somewhere like Alesund someday. A young couple that I vicariously sail Norway with:

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Hey Paul, up early getting ready to leave to a location without internet or cell phone coverage for a few day so can't ID in all fairness to keeping this thread going but have stood in front of this same statue a few years ago prior to it and the pyramid's restoration. Seems they used seawater in the mortar the first time! Beautiful town that we hope to return to next September for an event if the craziness in this world subsides! Meanwhile next June you really otta take your brother up on his invite for the Admiralty Island race, though will be jealous!

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Well now back from the hinter lands (read no cell or internet) and my goodness has there been some great pics! I also now struggle with not a lot of recognizable offerings and will be leaving again in two days but the current pic looks like the site of the worst volcanic eruption for human life in the 20th century. If so then being in jail there was a blessing in disguise for a survivor.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Hmmm...I was avoiding directly IDing it on purpose but it appears the cat is out of the bag so will try to dig up something. May have to resort to scanning old 35mm photos from back in the day. My biggest concern is not being able to field guesses at times over the next weekish once gone again. Also for what's it's worth, Mt. Pelee, it appears, is awakening again.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
If the road up to "the Bottom" is tough you should see the airport! Makes the strip on St. Martin look expansive. No tourists hanging on a fence for the jet wash either!

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
@Interlude - that gave it away, I wasn't certain until I saw "The Bottom" --- Saba Island is my guess.
Yup, aren't many places ya have to go up to get to "The Bottom"! The whole 13 square KM island is essentially the top of....wait for it...the dormant volcano Mt. Scenery! There are actually a couple beaches there , though small, which is why it is clearly not a major tourist destination. It is not the most visited island by boat as there are only two designated anchorage zones within the Saba National Marine Park: one between Ladder Bay and Wells Bay and one in front of the Fort Bay Harbor. Both a good wet dingy ride. It is the highest point in the Netherlands, which of course having much territory below sea level is not saying much!

I'm outta here for a bit again and the ID is now in the capable hands of Zanshin...hey you started it! 😊

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
Well just got back into digital connections after a nice respite from such and lo and behold a bridge! Y'all may remember I love my bridges and lighthouses so can't resist, though will be sorely pressed to come up with an ID if correct but...Pont de Pierre in Bordeaux -Aquitaine, France. If so we may thank Mr. Bonaparte for this 17 arch bridge.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
461 Posts
That's it. The Pont de pierre in Bordeaux, connects the left bank of the Garonne River to the right bank and, as mentioned, was instigated by Mr Bonaparte, although not built until later during the Bourbon Restoration. It was apparently the only bridge in Bordeaux until 1965.

On a more relevant note, it constitutes the legal frontier between the maritime domain and the river domain in the port of Bordeaux.

We went to "wine school" while visiting Bordeaux. Sooooo much wine!
I like a good wine, though more of a beer snob, but as far as the Bourbon Restoration mentioned, I am all in for a good Bourbon! lol

I am afraid that I have little access aboard for possible digital ID's but should before end of day be home, though may be late, as have now been relegated to scanning old 35mm pix to come up with something IDable! Shouldn't have ID'd this one but can't help myself with bridges and lighthouses! "Wine School" sounds great!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts