SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Hobie Cat Getaway, previously HR34
30 Posts
Based on the hint of looking north, my guess is Anse Marcel in St. Martin looking north to Anguilla. Never been in the bay, but did contemplate it several times while anchored in Grand Case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Coastal and oceanic landforms

As this thread was the one that prompted me to finally join Sailnet and contribute rather than just reading, I'm not sure if this picture will post.

If it does, this sandbar village is quite a distance north of the previous photo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Many good observations Zanshin and you correctly identified the province, but it is not as far north as you were thinking. I had to look up the local tide table to refresh my memory, but yes they are modest compared to some of the ports in neighbouring provinces that one might visit while cruising the area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This location is found on an island in the gulf of St. Lawrence. Arriving here would be by boat, plane or ferry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The actual location is Havre Aubert in les iles de la madeleine (sometimes referred to as the Magdalen Islands). A beautiful stop with a protected anchorage.

Having picked a location that is perhaps a bit obscure or less travelled, I'll pass the thread to MacBlaze to offer a new location for those still following.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The sea wall and style of the house reminds me of parts of Lake Ontario, but I don't recognize it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The current picture I believe is Georgian Bay. It wasn't a port I visited when I had my last boat, so I wont say which one as I used google maps to figure it out. I do plan to visit when it is time for the next boat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Prince Edward county on lake Ontario fits the wine and beaches theme and being just a couple hundred miles from Quebec. The yacht club picture in Picton didn't match my memory... then I realized it was probably because I had looked at a boat at the Picton Marina just a few hundred yards further west.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Each time I've been through this port it has been a pleasant way to unwind from a multi-day passage.
Water Sky Plant Cloud Flowerpot

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, Beaufort, NC is the location. I was worried it might be too easy to guess but I figured we've had a lot of Canadian photos lately so when I had found 3 photos I liked, I picked something south of the border.

This location was the landfall for my first offshore passage. It was supposed to be Nassau to New York, but with a deteriorating weather forecast the Captain made the decision to make landfall south of Hatteras. Despite this, we went through the worst thunder and lightning I've seen at sea (and the rest of the crew aboard) with heavy rains and gusts of 50 to 60 knots. Learned that the rain really does flatten the seas. A couple months later my wife and bought our first cruising boat, so maybe my wife is right when she says I have a few screws loose.

So this town dock brings back memories. Since then my wife and I have also arrived twice on our own boat from the Abaco's. Pleasant atmosphere, breakfast overlooking the boats, live music in the evening and very nice main street to wander around. I'm sure we will return when venture cruising again.

Over to you hpeer for the next photo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm guessing Delaware City Marina. I transited this area and the C&D canal at night to make it to the boat show a few years back so I didn't have much to recognize it. But a quick check of the satelite image of the C&D suggests that marina would be a convenient stop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it is Great Harbour on Jost Van ****. Not sure what the bar is.. Not Foxy's because we can't see the little dock at that end of the beach.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If not for the hint that the name of the bar was in the picture, I wouldn't have found it. I had suspected it was Tortola in the background of the original photo, but I had to really look at how the boats were sitting to figure out which island it might be.

With my last picture being guessed almost immediately I've struggling to figure out what would be a good one that isn't too recognizable but doesn't necessarily require someone to have been there to narrow it down.

🤞this does the trick:
Cloud Water Sky Wood Coastal and oceanic landforms

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its not that old as there's iron reinforcing in the concrete.
ILIA B as the red channel markers are on the right going in.
Finial on the right looks Spanish.
Black mould looks tropical.
Ship on the horizon.... 10 nms off the coast.

Havana, Cuba, the entry to Marina Hemmingway?

Mark
Many good points Mark. The fort is actually much older, but the US was still actively using it after WW2, so the iron rebar may have been from one of the changes through the forts existence. Originally Spanish, so another design aspect correctly identified...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't help but notice that the settled areas in the photos are on higher grounds rather than down near the sea level. Combined with the hint of it also being a good hike it reminds me of an eastern Caribbean island that is known for having built a rather challenging road from the port up the flatter areas that have been settled.

I have not yet visited, so I don't recognize the view to be certain, but hope to at some point if its the place I am thinking of.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts