SailNet Community banner
241 - 260 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
@SanderO - No worries and I'm sure you'll get to post that picture again sometime soon.
@Arcb - I guess the Caribbean and anything south of the 40th parallel is ruled out. A Narrow lock leading to a big body of water doesn't narrow it down too much for me. But it feels like more of a Great Lakes than an ocean lock.

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
Definitely not the Caribbean :)

Not really the Great Lakes either.

I guess narrow lock is a relative idea, but our 50 foot beam doesn't come close to filling the lock.

Naval architecture Wood Composite material Engineering Machine

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
Great Lakes?
It's not really the Great Lakes, but it is that watershed area. It's East of the Mississipi.

The Lake itself is relatively small.

I am not necessarily looking for the lakes name, could be the lake, the towns, or the name of the lock itself.

Here is a pic of my Hobie anchored at the beach in warmer weather to give a sense of the size of the lake.
Water Sky Cloud Watercraft Boat

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
That's one of the set of 3 Locks going down into the lake by Montreal.
Magnificent locks with an amazing view. I don't remember the name if the locks or lake, or the waterway without cheating but it's Weland Canal before Montréal and the St Lawrence River after, further east, isn't it?
So these locks are on the Wekand Canal.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
Mark takes the torch. It's not the Welland Canal but your geographic description is spot on, so I think that is in the spirit of the game. This is one of the locks just East of Montreal on the St Lawrence River. It is "Eisenhower Lock", Massena, New York.

The picture was taken on the 24th of December and we tied up in Montreal for Christmas day.

The Lock itself bypasses Moses Saunders Power dam, a massive power project that generates about 1000 megawatts on the Canadian Side and over 900 Megawatts on the New York side. Several villages were flooded here in 1958 to create the reservoir forming what is locally known as the "lost villages". One can swim and snorkel old houses, churches, hotels and barns on the lake.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
We came down them on a 68 footer on a cruise from Muskegon, Michigan to Nova Scotia... In 1993.
Stuck in my memory. 😊

Give me a few minutes to get a photo. It's dinner time... And Marjorie is cooking (I just shoved her in a pot with a few onions)

😊

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Navarone? (Which I know is a fictional place ;) )

LOLOLOL What makes you think theres any fiction in the photos?

But Navarone is a brilliant answer. Wrong but brilliant!

241 - 260 of 540 Posts