SailNet Community banner
521 - 540 of 844 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Pity we dint watch TV or moviesZ

I can get this close to reading the water tank, but no cigar.

Reactions: tempest

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Pity we dint watch TV or moviesZ

I can get this close to reading the water tank, but no cigar.
Well, I've given about as many clues as I can. Will give it another day and I'll just tell you. I'm sure there's plenty of people here who know this place, but are standing down. I'll turn it back to Zanshin, after tomorrow, unless you want to post one up.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Paul, man you are close!! Right River! Not Bald Head, though we did pass it that evening when we headed out to sea, after fueling up here, and taking the long walk to the West Marine, through the Park. Look just a little further up River.
Not sure if that WM is still open.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
OK, not Bald Head. It's the marina at the Carolina Beach State Park, on the Cape Fear River near Snow's Cut. The jet-ski rental place there says its in Carolina Beach, NC. Google says the West Marine store is permanently closed.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a Winner! Yes, Carolina Beach State Park Marina, near Snow's Cut! on the Cape Fear River. Very neat little spot.

A low pressure system off the coast kept us inside for a few days on the way to Florida. I had never been through Snow's Cut, very interesting passage. It was like a narrow river, with a current running with us. As I recall we were watching out for fallen trees in the water, and overhead branches, as we had to move toward shore a bit to pass a boat coming up current. Once through the cut, Carolina Beach is right there, a neat little rocky entrance to the small marina. Got ice and Fuel as I recall, and then walked a few miles through the park in to town for a few things, before heading offshore that evening with the Tide. I believe my Avatar, was taken the next day on the way to Jax. and the St. John's river. I believe it was about a 30-36 hr. passage, N. Winds around 20-22 behind with pretty decent sized following Seas and a small handkerchief of a head sail. Surfed pretty much all the way. Full moon at night lit the way. Never near the Gulf stream, but I could see the cloud formations that form over it to the east.

Thanks for playing. Paulk has the baton ! or is it batten ;-)

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
This is a bit north of the last photo spot.
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft

It would be nice to get the name of the town as well as the name of the island it's on.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Ta DA!!! SanderO's persistance has paid off! Stonington, on Deer Isle in Maine, boasts an Opera House, along with restaurants, stores, a weekend craft & farmer's market, art galleries and (best of all?) Billing's Diesel & Marine - a full service boatyard on its own Moose Island, that you can reach by bridge if your boat isn't afloat. Ferry service to Isle au Haut too. Lots of lobster boats in Stonington. On one trip there we saw a live blue lobster that had been trapped - about 5 pounds from the size of it. Deer Isle has some beautiful nooks and crannies, including sections called Sunshine and Sunset. Nature preserves and quarries for the granite and there are, of course, deer as well. Definitely a place to seek out if you're in the neighborhood. Below, a scene from Nervous Nellie's Jams & Jellies; Some of the Fleet; More of the Fleet; and Up Island
Plant Biome Wood Trunk Sculpture
Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft

Cloud Water Sky Plant Water resources

Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape

521 - 540 of 844 Posts