SailNet Community banner
41 - 60 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Lets see if I can get back with the pack here.

English, yachts in background, fort (but we said English already), volcanic rock.

I will go with Grenada for a guess. One of the Southern anchorages.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
@hpeer - your logic is correct, but unfortunately the conclusion is wrong.

There is still an antique underwater chain in the waters on this picture that could be used to prevent ships passing. It was never used in combat. I'll post another picture taken from the 2nd location but looking the other way and that might clinch it for the forum sleuths.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
@Arcb - You are correct, it is Fort Berkeley which guards the entrance to English Harbour in Antigua. The next picture probably would have given it away as it includes the hillside where Fort Shirley commands the view from the other side, so here's one taken from the same general location as the first one, just higher up the hill:
Water Sky Mountain Boat Natural landscape

@Arcb, you are up!

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,142 Posts
I know the area very well... It's only a perspective seen arriving or departing Freeman Bay heading west. It's not technically English Harbor. I was fooled and should have known. I remember that fort as "powder keg"...

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
I was there in 2010 for a wedding, we were staying at Jolly Beach resort. The wedding party hired a driver and a jeep with cooler full of beer and rum and we spent a full day exploring the area around the Fort, but I couldn't remember it's name.

This is a tricky bar crossing for bigger sailboats, but they do do it.
Cloud Water Sky Daytime Azure

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@MarkofSeaLife - I found this: https://www.alltrails.com/explore?b...6.999095002995887&b_br_lng=-61.75807455091466
Fort Berkeley, Keene's to Fort Cuyler (some ruins left there), then to Pigeon Beach and on roads back to English Harbour.

The nicest hike is to take the dinghy ferry across to Galleon beach, then walk past the resort up the dirt road leading to the lookout/old fort at Charlotte Point (where the Antigua Race Week outside start line is, over the Pillars of Hercules) and from there along the cliffs and then up to the Officer's Quarters and then Shirley Heights and then the path back down the hill to Galleon. Sturdy shoes needed due to rocky path and thorns, but the way is well-marked with painted arrows.

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
This is not Lake Ontario.

I took a look to see if I had any clear shots of the compass on my outbound trip- no luck.

However, when I returned inbound through the pass later in the day, I found a shot I took with my cell phone where it was readable. ~120 degrees.
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
The 120 degree heading did help. Port Franks inlet, Lake Huron?
Nicely done, I had a bunch of photo clues lined up, but yes, that's exactly it, Port Frank's inlet to the Ausable River from Lake Huron.

I had lunch on the Port Franks sandbar before taking this series of photos :)

You're up.
Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft Natural environment

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
This could me many places... Withdraw this and please out up something with unique qualities.
Port Frank's isn't Goderich, Grand Bend or Kincardine, but it is one of the few places on the Canadian coast of Lake Huron that you can get a decent sized boat into (~2.5 meter draft) to escape a storm.

You only need to cross that bar once or twice in a wind with any kind of Westerly component to remember it :)

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,142 Posts
Port Frank's isn't Goderich, Grand Bend or Kincardine, but it is one of the few places on the Canadian coast of Lake Huron that you can get a decent sized boat into (~2.5 meter draft) to escape a storm.

You only need to cross that bar once or twice in a wind with any kind of Westerly component to remember it :)
I see a tree lined shore... the depth of the sea is unknowable... It's too generic.

·
Registered
Hobie Cat Getaway, previously HR34
23 Posts
The current picture I believe is Georgian Bay. It wasn't a port I visited when I had my last boat, so I wont say which one as I used google maps to figure it out. I do plan to visit when it is time for the next boat.

41 - 60 of 540 Posts