SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pictures of sharks! It's Shark Week!

I am a big fan of shark week on Discovery channel and I was wondering, while watching it, if any of you guys (who spend more time on water than I do) already took pictures of curious sharks around their sailboat.

I would love having the chance to take pictures of my own while sailing. I saw tons of pictures from people doing shark diving runs ... But any of you took pictures of curious sharks while anchoring in a bay or in any random events!?

It's time to share :)

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
There are great whites all around the New England islands right now. People are being warned not to swim in water deeper than they can see their feet! That's maybe two feet around here.

Last week, I heard a securite call, identifying a 12 ft great white off Cuttyhunk. Don't think that's a valid reason for a securite call, but what the heck. Not uncommon for fish in the water to look bigger than they are, but you would not expect one of any size to be there. Something about water temps, seal migration, etc.

Turns out it was the friend of a friend, so I may be able to track down a pic. Reportedly, they have them.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Well I am in my 13th year as a full time liveaboard and the number of sharks I have seen around my boat is zero. No I forgot one and it was a hammerhead. It cruised in every afternoon past my boat around the time the sports fisherman were cleaning their catch. FREE LUNCH !

I snorkel a lot and I guess I have seen something like 10 - 15. Most of those were in the Turks and Caicos and Southern Bahamas.

So averaging about one a year.

Some dive operations can almost guarantee you will see sharks. That is because they have been feeding them at the same place and time for years, mind you the sharks now associate divers with food which may not be a good thing.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I guess it depends where you are. When we were at Suvarov Island in the Cooks we had about five black-tipped reef sharks constantly swimming slowly around our boat (they were in the 4 to 5 foot range). The park rangers there said there was no problem swimming with them so we did (a big step for people from Lake Ontario where the only sharks are on land). These sharks seemed so lazy and languid in the way they swam, until one day my wife threw some meat scraps in the water. They were on them instantly and with incredible power.

Did a cage dive with great whites in South Africa. Water was not as clear as it might be but they are an incredible sight at a range of about a foot. The guide said to be sure not to hold bars of the cage. Seemed like an incredibly good idea.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Snorkling on the island of Koh Tao I was mesmerized by the big (3 m) bull sharks swimming just below me. Sue strongly insisted on a hasty retreat .Ah, shucks . Next year,same place ,same time, German tourist bleeds to death before he could get to shore.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I've caught lot of sharks while fishing near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, which probably has more sharks during the summer months than any body of water along the east coast of the U.S.. Most are dusky sharks of about 100 pounds, but there were also a fair number of sand tigers of twice that size, bull sharks to 800 pounds, and loads of spiny dogfish to 55 pounds. We released all but the spiny dogfish, which are very tasty. I've been led to believe that the species is what is used by fast food restaurants for their fillet of fish sandwiches.

I'll have to dig through the archives to find some photos,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Do nurse sharks count? This one visited our boat daily at Warderick Wells. Reached down and touched her as she cruised by. But I didn't join her in the water. The nurse sharks at Staniel Cay are practically pets.

Reactions: avenger79

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Our local dogfish won't pass the mercury content test so we sell to Germany where they are known as ground salmon in fish and chips shops. In Aus they use nurse sharks. Skin immediatly to remove ammonia as they don't have a kidney. Marinade the fillets in beer. For a real treat ,try rat fish.(a BC secret)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts