SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience using a 30 amp to 125v standard plug pigtail adapter ... To plug into a regular household extension cord. I frequent a family member's dock that does not have standard marina-grade shorepower. Any caveats?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
if it is a 30 amp circuit and you plug in a 15 amp cord you take a chance of burning up the cord before the 30 breaker will trip. yes I know it is done but that does not make it safe. breakers are to protect the wires. so if the breaker is 30 amps then the wire should be able to take 30 amps. you could have a portable 15 amp breaker box that plugs into the 30 receptacle before the 15 amp cord.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I'd also suggest using a test light and confirming the ground (especially) on the family wiring. An awful lot of casual "extending" on home wiring is done without ground, or with hot and neutral reversed. It might be worthwhile adding a box to your pigtail, with a GFI, 15 amp breaker, etc. so you've got a robust adapter that can be used anywhere. Or not, as suits your time and wallet.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
Does anyone have any experience using a 30 amp to 125v standard plug pigtail adapter ... To plug into a regular household extension cord. I frequent a family member's dock that does not have standard marina-grade shorepower. Any caveats?
I think I see what you are saying. Your boat has the 30a shore power receptical, but the only thing availible at the dock is 15a house power?

I think I would be more tempted to run off of the batteries and use the house power to keep them charged

·
Sailor
924 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem. You won't be able to run a/c while plugged in and you may have a problem running a microwave, especially if the battery charger is on. What would happen in that case is the breaker in the house will click off and need to be reset. No big problem, just a hassle. If you find that a problem, convince the family to install a proper 30 amp service if they want your company!

Tod

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I used a 125V to 30A pigtail to plug in my power cord every spring on the hard in Rock Hall as the majority of electrical service in the "boat parking" area was of the 125V type. Of course the 125V outlet was protected by a 20amp breaker. Common stuff from what I've seen.:)

·
19,489 Posts
We have a solid plug adaptor (not a pigtail) to plug our 30A shore power cord into a 120V AC outlet... Only issue is that its a bit long and may prevent the box from closing - sometimes we have to support the cord with some lashing or it pulls itself out.

Just remember your load limitations...

Reactions: dvuyxx

·
I don't discuss my member
2,622 Posts
I go the other way 'round. Every day I plug my 110-volt, 10.5 amp, 1.25 hp air compressor into 30 amp shorepower using a 16-gauge extension cord. Have done for almost 19 years. Never a problem.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I see what you are saying. Your boat has the 30a shore power receptical, but the only thing availible at the dock is 15a house power?

I think I would be more tempted to run off of the batteries and use the house power to keep them charged
Correct. My boat is pretty modest load wise. No a/c or microwaves etc. I mostly want to keep my batteries topped off and run some small power tools. I have a smart charger on board.

·
72 C&C Corvette
318 Posts
Should not be a problem since the 120 v receptical is rated for 15 amp the house breaker will trip in an over current situation, just a mater of flippin the breaker back on and don't do what ever caused the overload..

·
Registered
220 Posts
You should not have a problem just keep your loads under 15 AMPS and like others said check the polarity. The lights on your boat should show reverse polarity if there is a problem but check for open ground with a 3 light tester. Also I would suggest a good quality extension cord. Most cords sold these days are 16 or 18 gauge which of course would be a bit light. I would suggest getting a 12 gauge cord. They cost more but will save you problems and possible damage to equipment on the boat due to voltage drop.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
You shouldn't need to buy an extension cord. Plug the adaptor into the supplied shorepower and use your 30 amp cord.

As far as suffering with 15 amps goes there is at least one live aboard marina in this area with 15 amp service and they get along fine.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
To clarify household wiring points: A 20A household circuit uses 12 gauge wire and a 15A household circuit may use 14 gauge wire. The outlets have a different configuration to denote amperage. (Assuming its done to code.)

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Going from 15 amp service to 30 amp service is not a problem, as the op is trying to do. It is going from 30 to 15 that has issues.

·
Senior Slacker
4,223 Posts
If you're just running an extension cord from the house, I would add some sort of circuit protection. Maybe take something like this:

and put it between your pigtail and extension cord. It might not protect you against all mishaps, but it would be better than nuthin'.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
My home slip only has a 15a service, and I use a pigtail like this one:

Notice the screw on the ground prong. That screw is supposed to lock the plug into the outlet, although I don't trust it, so I lash the plug into place because otherwise it tends to pull part way out just from the weight of the connector.

Obviously your only limitation is the loads you can put on it. Things like hot water heaters aren't an option!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts