SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This is my first post on SailNet. I've just sold a little trailerable boat that I had for six years and sailed from New Jersey to Florida to BC. Up here, I need something bigger, dryer, more comfortable and much more seaworthy.

I'm hoping to find a pilothouse boat, 30'-36'. I'd like to be able to motor around, if not sail, all year round and explore the area a bit. I'm tall, 6'5", and would like to be able to stand up.

I saw a listing for a Cooper 316 and that boat looked perfect - 7' headroom. Unfortunately that boat has been sold; the listing is outdated. It appears there aren't many of these.

I would like to pose the following questions to you:

- Are you aware of other pilothouse boats with much headroom?
- Do you know any that are for sale and affordable?

I will probably have other questions in the future..

Of course I would love it if this boat was capable enough to take me to Hawaii, but that isn't a requirements. I'd just be happy to explore the local area.

I'm looking to title the boat in the US but a Canadian boat would fine too - I wouldn't mind importing it.

Thank you!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Welcome to SailNet Michiel! Your quest sounds like a "tall order" The trouble with searching is headroom is almost never listed on the seller's page.

·
Wingnut
70 Posts
Have a look at brent swains boats. There are lots of them on the BC coast. They are all a little different, but a friend who is 6'4" lives aboard one with plwnty of room. Most have pilot houses, and some manner of inside steering.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Hi Michiel,

Welcome to Sailnet. It might help refine the search if you also gave us a Budget range that you consider affordable for this purchase.

As Denise pointed out, one often has to do some digging to find " head room" listed. I just looked at some Cape dory 300's and can't find any mention. Owners groups might help.

Here's a few I came across in the 30' range:

Cape Dory 300: CDSOA, Inc. -- CD300MS

Fisher: Alaska Hooges: 30' Fisher Pilothouse Motorsailer For Sale

Cheoy Lee : Cheoy Lee Offered For Sale

Nimble Kodiak: Ted Brewer design 1993 Nimble Kodiak Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Fales Navigator 1975 Fales Navigator Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

·
Old enough to know better
4,343 Posts
Thank you for your replies. Budget? Yes, around $30k, less if possible.
Not saying it won't happen but it will be tough to find any pilot house at that price in good shape. They seem to bring a real premium. You might find a fixer in that price range.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/19794

There is a Gulf 32 that was also made by the folks above and should be in that price range. Those are likely the most affordable.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pointer. Looks like a nice boat. Seems like it should be up here, not in Florida. New engine too.

I'll see how far I can stretch that budget if I need to. 35-37k seems to be a common price range.

For now I'm looking for boats that will allow me to stand up.

·
Old enough to know better
4,343 Posts
Just happened to see this one, I don't think it has inside steering but the price is right.

1974 Cal Cal 35 sailboat for sale in Maine

Old Cals the big thing to look out for is the mast steps are often steel, and rust and can be hard to get to, depending on the boat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happyoutdoors
I may be able to help you find a Cooper315 Pilothouse as I am probably listing one in the next few days, a 1983. I work and live on Vancouver Island in the boat business as a broker so if you are still interested please let me know and maybe we can arrange to meet at the boat.

Dave Green

·
Registered
2 Posts
Michael
I will be listing a 316cooper in the next day or so
Please contact me
It is in your budget range and in BC Canada
Dave Green
Let me know if you get this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts