SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to make a post here for posterity.

I'm still a greenhorn, but just came home from a weekend Piloting and Navigation class taught at the Annapolis School of Seamanship, and I thoroughly enjoyed the class. I thought it was a great class with a pair of great instructors. This is the first time in my life I have ever sighted a bearing or plotted a course. The instructors explained every aspect of the process in a manner that was understandable and easy to apply to the final chart we had to plot.
Great job Capt. Paul

Cheers!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don—

A good book for you to pick up and keep is Hubbard's Boater's Bowditch, which is Bowditch re-written for small craft navigators. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hubbard's book was the required text for the class. We used a good bit of the front chapters but skimmed the later ones that were not as relevant to the course at hand. I think what I enjoyed most was that plotting the course was kind of therapeutic to me. No computer, just dividers, pencil and rules!!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Good for you Don! I to find plotting therapeutic also! Stay with it and keep your skills up! Plotting is a use it or it loose thing! To many today rely on all the fancy stuff with the little wires to get them where they want to go! I have one of those things too,. but I still go to my charts and plot everything before I move the boat. When the Gps and my plotting agree The world is in harmony! While the boat is layed up, I can be found watching the evening news with a chart on my lap plotting voyages, I will never take!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
LOL... forget I said anything then... :)
Hubbard's book was the required text for the class. We used a good bit of the front chapters but skimmed the later ones that were not as relevant to the course at hand. I think what I enjoyed most was that plotting the course was kind of therapeutic to me. No computer, just dividers, pencil and rules!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts