SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts
You are going to encounter many more pirates in the marine service industry, from boat yards to marine refrigeration, than you'll ever encounter while sailing.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
You are going to encounter many more pirates in the marine service industry, from boat yards to marine refrigeration, than you'll ever encounter while sailing.
This is true (including the marine services part!), if one avoids pirate infested waters. Indonesia is the first or second highest area for piracy on the planet, iirc.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Dang, he stole my thunder. When I take my grand children into a marine store out west (hint) I tell them as we walk by the cashier "Beware lads there be pirates about here."

Reactions: sailforlife

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If he was packing heat they prob would have killed him. There was 10 of them, that is called a helpless situation.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
1 25rd drum mag of 00 buck = 225 .33 down range in less than 10 seconds
.223 would be good for standoff distances
Have you ever tried shooting a rifle off a sailboat? I qualified expert, captain of the rifle team in HS and was an excellent wing shooter from the age of 13.

Shooting a .223 off a sailboat in very moderate conditions IE 2-3' swells at 50 yds I hit within 10-15' of a floating target about 20% of the time. Once I got within 5'. At 100 yds, forget it. You might want to rethink your standoff plan unless you're the best marksman on the planet.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
In the military that's what they call spray and pray. Doesn't work like it does in the movies.
Third round is usually so far over their heads they don't hear the snap of the bullet as it goes by.

Reactions: skipmac

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
The few snaps shown suggest a very large vessel in steel. Would wonder about locking up inside.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
The few snaps shown suggest a very large vessel in steel. Would wonder about locking up inside.
Don't think the steel hull of a yacht would stop a round from a high caliber rifle. Plus the hatches and ports would be weak points.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Standing against 10-1 odds when your adversary has the advantage of maneuverability and a steel hull is suboptimal. Best to toss your rifle overboard so they don't get it. There's no way this ends well. Cut your losses and survive.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
I have a vault full of sporting and hunting guns at home, mostly shotguns, but rifles and pistols too. I'm simply not sailing anywhere I think I would need one along.

Reactions: skipmac

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a vault full of sporting and hunting guns at home, mostly shotguns, but rifles and pistols too. I'm simply not sailing anywhere I think I would need one along.
Considering where the guy in the article was from and where he was sailing, would it have been feasible for him to have one onboard anyway? Discounting for a moment the 10:1 odds and the fact that the captain very likely isn't actually Rambo...

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
Considering where the guy in the article was from and where he was sailing, would it have been feasible for him to have one onboard anyway? .......
If by feasible, you mean could he legally check in and out of countries with one aboard and have it available to protect himself in sovereign waters, then No.

The irony (some see it more severely) to carrying weapons aboard, is most countries will require you surrender them, if they permit you to arrive with them at all. So, just when you're closets to the bad dudes, you're defenseless.

If you feel you need to be armed in the middle of an ocean passage, one can knock themselves out, assuming you can legally obtain and possess it at departure. Anecdotally, I have heard of a cruiser or two that carried a weapon aboard for a passage, understanding they would chuck it overboard, prior to landfall. Weird to me. If you think you aren't safe, don't go.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've given this a lot of thought. My conclusion is that deterrence and awareness is a far better solution than resistance. The best likely outcome in defensive use of force scenario, you still have to explain a dead body (bodies) in a jurisdiction where self defence may not be the justification one would hope, and the legal process may not favor your freedom or property.

Better to be a difficult and uninteresting target.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Well yes, exactly. Sailing and cruising should be fun and adventurous perhaps but why sail to an area where you may be at high risk of attack?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts